Got a little buzz in my ear

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
At the same autoX where I bent my lower control arm brackets, I had a buzz start. It is coming from the BCM.

Other than the suspension failure, I am not aware of any electrical failures.

I have not found any loose wires.

Only thing unhooked presently is the horns. I hooked them back up temporarily and that did not stop the buzz.
I tested the horns directly to the battery, and they are functioning and not shorted.

Any ideas what is causing the buzz?

I do not recall if this is the same buzzer the Cobalt used for something like an open door?

I have not opened the BCM yet.

Last resort may just be disconnecting the buzzer if the cause is not found. Not finding the root cause for something like this does not bother me too much. Some of you may be shaking your head a little at me for considering that. ;)

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Sounds like a relay buzzing. Pull the relay, does it stop? Or put your finger on it, and feel if it is the one buzzing.
I think there are only two relays on here. I pulled both and neither were the source of the buzz.

I found a video of a guy opening up this exact BCM to gain access to the EEPROM chip (not what I need to do here). Unfortunately this BCM does not just snap apart easily. The two metal plug mounts have to be drilled out to open it up. It appears from watching his video that there are no removable parts inside on the board. I am still not positive what is buzzing. Maybe Ross was right and it is a relay? I did not open mine up yet.

So at this point, I decided to try something else. I plugged everything back in, connected the battery, and then started pulling the fuses that I did not think were in use. The third fuse I removed was 26 DR LCK (15A) - and the buzzing ceased.

Now, I am not an electrical guru - by far. Anyone have a diagram for this door lock circuit? Or, an idea why my BCM now thinks it is necessary to buzz for my door lock circuit?

I have not done any other tests to see if removing this fuse will affect anything else. If it does not affect anything else, I assume I will just pull the fuse permanently.

I am open to thoughts/suggestions/concerns/ideas, though.

And nobody tell me to worry about not being able to lock my doors....... ;)

IMG_0596.jpg

Ross

Goblin Guru
Congrats, I think you found a solution already.

Here is a map of my BCM fuses. Not sure if your BCM is the same... but there are lots of red fuses that aren't necessary.
Relays can get stuck in a loop, that causes buzzing. For example, a circuit where the relay coil is energized, causes the relay switch to activate, which cuts its' own coil power, which stops the switch from being thrown, and starting the loop over again.
Not sure why your door lock switch is looping, but it doesn't really matter... pull the fuse.

Leave your goblin unlocked.