GOTW - 1-5-24 #196 Nate Meske

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
The first Goblin of the Week for 2024 is #196 from Janesville, WI. Nate has done a lot with his Goblin including a very unique trailer.

What is your name?
Nate Meske

Where are you located?
Janesville, WI

What is your forum screen name?
Fozda

Build log on forum:
Fozda's Standard Track Goblin - 06' SS/SC #196

Bonus link:
Check out Nate's YouTube channel: WOT club on YouTube

What is your chassis number?

When did you buy your Goblin?

Tell us a little about yourself.
I'm an Overhaul Mechanic for Collins Aerospace and I play with cars for fun!

How did you become interested in cars?
I really don't know! They just intrigued me and the tinkering got progressively more intense over the years.

What drew you to the Goblin?
It is super small and really light which was the complete opposite of my last autocross car (supercharged Pontiac G8).

How does the Goblin fit into your lifestyle? (daily driver, weekend warrior, both)
Weekend Warrior

Tell us about your build. (who did you build it with? where did you build it?)
Me and a couple friends put the whole thing together in about 3 days in my garage. We had everything ready to go when the kit arrived. When we got home from DF headquarters with the frame I immediately took it to a buddy to have modifications welded on and then dropped it off at powder coat. We got the frame back from powder coat a week after picking it up on a Thursday and it was ready to drive, minus one wire issue and backordered seats, on Sunday.

What, if anything, have you modified on your Goblin that sets it apart from others?
My favorite mod is running coolant through the frame tube instead of pulling a hose through it. Other than that probably the Brembo brakes, rear intercooler setup, and the massive diesel exhaust tip! Oh, and the trailer hitch!

Do you have any memorable road trips, races or events you've attended in your Goblin?
This past year we used the Goblin to participate in a week long drag-n-drive event called Sick Summer. We put about 1000 miles on the car and raced at 5 drag strips that week. Other than that I've done a whole bunch of local autocrosses and track days.

Is there a particular aspect of the Goblin—be it the design, performance, or community—that you appreciate the most?
Nothing stands out above the rest for me, everything is awesome! The car, the community, the company, it's all great!

Finally, do you have any future plans for your Goblin—any upcoming modifications, trips, or events?
I'd like to redesign the rear end with a new subframe and dual wishbone suspension and then take it to Road America!

Traé

Very interesting running the coolant through the frame, I have not come across that on the forum yet.
@Fozda, what inclined you to go that route?

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Very interesting running the coolant through the frame, I have not come across that on the forum yet.
@Fozda, what inclined you to go that route?
There was a few reasons behind that. I saw a lot of posts back then about folks struggling to get the hose through the frame so I started wondering why we're putting a hose in a tube. I decided to try it out and it seems to work great! We welded nipples onto the ends of the tubes and then pressure tested the system. I haven't had any leaks this whole time and it doubles as a bit of a radiator as well!

Ross

Goblin Guru
Nate, I always loved your youtube channel, and the fun, silly stuff you and your friends do with the goblin. I didn't realize how skilled of a driver you are until you competed at the freedom factory in the danger ranger race. Great job with your goblin, and your channel's content. I'm looking forward to your future entertaining videos.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Your build is great. But the cleverness with the trailer is what impressed me. Well done.

Goblinfanclub1234

Things I love about this one: the frame color and the wheels!!!!

Is there any worry about rust or corrosion on the inside of the steel frame tubes with the coolant??

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Radiator coolant is formulated to inhibit corrosion with iron/steel, as it is used in engine blocks and heads. The Ecotec iron sleeve in the engine blocks we use is directly in contact with the radiator fluid. There will always be some corrosion, but it should create an oxidizing layer on the inside surface of the frame tube and that should be the extent of rust generated in the cooling system, as long as the correct mix of radiator coolant is maintained.

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
The Ecotec iron sleeve in the engine blocks we use is directly in contact with the radiator fluid.
Where would that be? I had the head off my LSJ and the steel sleeves sitting in aluminum and don't have direct contact to the coolant. At least what I saw from the top. May have a picture somewhere.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The is coolant around the cylinder sleeves in the engine block - which is completely separate from the coolant circuit in the cylinder head. In the attached pic, the gap around the cylinder liner is a coolant passage that surrounds (mostly) the iron cylinder sleeves.

Attachments

duthehustle93

Where would that be? I had the head off my LSJ and the steel sleeves sitting in aluminum and don't have direct contact to the coolant. At least what I saw from the top. May have a picture somewhere.
Same for an LNF, iron sleeves press fit into aluminum. Water jacket is around the aluminum but I don't believe coolant ever comes in direct contact with the sleeve. But to DS's point, any notable amount of antifreeze would prevent damage from corrosion. Otherwise, older iron blocks/heads would have lots of issues.

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
... The Ecotec iron sleeve in the engine blocks we use is directly in contact with the radiator fluid. There will always be some corrosion, but it should create an oxidizing layer on the inside surface of the frame tube and that should be the extent of rust generated in the cooling system, as long as the correct mix of radiator coolant is maintained.
The is coolant around the cylinder sleeves in the engine block - which is completely separate from the coolant circuit in the cylinder head. In the attached pic, the gap around the cylinder liner is a coolant passage that surrounds (mostly) the iron cylinder sleeves.
Same for an LNF, iron sleeves press fit into aluminum. Water jacket is around the aluminum but I don't believe coolant ever comes in direct contact with the sleeve. But to DS's point, any notable amount of antifreeze would prevent damage from corrosion. Otherwise, older iron blocks/heads would have lots of issues.
Attached is a picture of my LSJ. The water is not in contact with the metal at least what I can see from the top. Not sure how it looks like if you take the block off.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Antifreeze is a corrosion inhibitor for both iron/steel and aluminum. As others have stated the general principle is the same whether the coolant comes in contact with the liners or not. Sometimes people take short cuts with their explanations or take the time to think through the details of general principle to actual examples.