Greetings, from southern Louisiana!

CajunJeff

Greetings, from southern Louisiana! (aka Cajunland)

I'm Jeff. I'm a car guy. So's my dad. He and I decided to buy a car as a "project" car, but now I'm sort of stuck at a crossroads.

Our "main" project car is a '65 Rambler Marlin. We got it for relatively cheap, but because of that, it needs a lot of work. Bodywork, paint, electrical, mechanical. Needs an engine rebuild, all the rubber seals replaced, all the trim clips replaced, both bumpers rechromed and straightened, new headliner, new carpet, new quarter panels and one floorpan...

All of those things are doable, but it will take a long time to do them, a fair amount of money, and my dad's past 70 and not in great health. He's also broke. But he can weld.

He doesn't have the energy to rebuild it, doesn't have the money to pay someone else to do it, and I'm not really wanting to wait years to finish it.

So. I have two daily drivers. One of them is an '06 Saturn Ion Redline. It's mostly stock, has 125K miles, and runs and drives like a champ. But the body is falling apart. All the plastic-y trim thingies are cracking, it needs a paint job, the sunroof leaks, the headliner's shot, the seats need recovering, the radio's going out, etc. etc.

So I'm trying to convince pops that the way for us to go is to sell the Rambler, and use that money to buy a Goblin kit.

**Assuming I can get him to go along with this**
I've done my research:
I've looked into building it in Louisiana (it's classified as an "assembled vehicle" here) and I think I can make it work. There's a statement in the law (LA RS 32:707.5) that says it has to comply with all highway codes for fenders, bumpers, lights, etc. UNLESS it's "an assembled vehicle built to appear as an antique vehicle, a street rod, or other specialty vehicle." Also, fenders are not required for vehicles under 1,500 pounds... I know it's close. Might be able to fudge that one a little.

So essentially, I may be able to get around some of these requirements if I make it look like a hot rod. It all depends on what the inspector's definition of "specialty vehicle" is. I have friends in the DMV and State Police. We'll see.

I would love to build it as a '27 track-nosed T. Pretty sure I can get the front end and windshield to look the part... the rear will take some creativity. I can get 16" smoothie wheels and whitewalls from Stockton Wheel in the 5x110 (made for HHR's) pattern. Mooneyes used to even make Halibrand knockoffs in 5x110 for them. Will use the stock wheels for now. (I know you can redrill hubs... I will tackle that eventually probably with a spare set)

I don't have a garage. I will be building this mostly in my shed. I need a project that I can do in stages, and doesn't require a lift. (Note: for all you northeners, there *is* no winter here. Don't need a heated garage.

Logistics:
I know the Ion Redline is nearly mechanically identical to a Cobalt SS/SC. The only physical differences I'm aware of are:
The LCAs are steel, not aluminum (but are interchangeable)
The intake plumbing is different (won't be using it anyway)
The ECU and fusebox mount brackets are different (not a huge deal)
Dash cluster is different (but should be usable)
Differences in wiring and (possibly) fuel line plumbing
May be slight differences in lower motor mounts, but shouldn't matter (bolted to cradle)

Any other slight differences should be fixable with donor parts from a Cobalt if necessary (maybe shifter, hardware brackets, sensors, pedal box, etc).

Things that are the same between the Redline and SS/SC:
Brakes
Engine
Trans
Suspension (except maybe the front swaybar)
Hubs (should be the same as the older SS/SC ones- Redlines came first)
Fuel pump
Steering column/rack

I am willing to be the guinea pig for converting Redlines into Goblins if I can convince pops to go along with it. I will document everything for Lonnie and the guys to use as a reference. I know there's at least 1 other Redline owner here who's considering it. They're great cars. As you know, they're essentially SS/SC's (actually vice versa) and I think would make great donors. There were only about 6,000 or so built, and blue book value on them is dropping rapidly.

NOTE: I have a full HPTuners license and interface for my car. Already upgraded it to Stage 2 (42#) injectors, and removed the cat error codes and can disable the anti-theft system if needed. Mine is the "competition package" model that came with gray wheels, an LSD, and a boost guage (only about 1500 produced).

I will get answers about registering it, and exactly what constitutes a "specialty vehicle" or a "street rod" in Louisiana.

Conclusion:
I think this is very doable. I won't be able to just blow through the harness thinning, as I'll have to verify the actual wires. I would have to label everything (which I would do anyway to keep track, because ADD). But otherwise, I think it would be a fairly straightforward conversion.

Still would be cool to build a rat rod Goblin. Would look as cool as a T-bucket, cost about the same, but be much cheaper than a Factory Five '35. Would still turn heads everywhere, and would be at home on a track, or at a car show.

Feedback? Thoughts? Warnings? Psychological advice?

Thanks! :)

(pics of my Rambler, and the Saturn being gutted after the sunroof leaked and flooded the floorboards)
IMG_20170413_175827.jpg
IMG_20160104_171026.jpg

DanPerryy

I too love cars, but the energy (and time) it takes to rebuild an older car is immense and when you get done you have a very nice old car, bit great suspension, not great brakes, either a not to bullet proof engine. We used to think 100,000 miles was a good engine life. Now we don't change spark plugs in 100,000 miles. The induction systems - although not as easy to grasp - are bullet proof and a Goblin is the essence of a modern car. Just the stuff it really takes a car to run.

LaunchPad

Howdy Hey!

I saw your input on the other thread about wire harnesses and thought i should introduce myself. Feels like a small world- I am retired USAF but my dad was an army aviator that worked for PHI after the army- he flew out of Thibodaux field most of his time with them. Because of his army time I went to 4 different high schools in 3 different states. I graduated from Terrebonne HS in Houma. . .circa 1990 and went into the AF. Later I circled back and got a degree from LSU in 99 funded by the AF and then got commissioned. My folks and sister still live in Houma. . . brings back memories from a lifetime ago.

I settled down about 40 miles south of Omaha Nebraska with a bit of an acreage they may very well bury me on someday. My dang shop would just be too big to move anyway. lol.

-cheers!

CajunJeff

Awesome! I ended up selling the Rambler to a guy in Covington, but I still have the Saturn. Who knows what the future holds!