Ground Cable on Engine?

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
Where does this specifically go on the SS/SC? When I pulled it off the Cobalt it was taped to the positive cable going from the starter motor to the fuse box. Can anyone tell me where it specifically connects to on both ends?

Murcielago311

As far as OEM configuration, I have my bent end labeled as 'front bumper frame ground'. The straight end is still bolted to an engine ground on the transmission side, right below the oil cooler.

Attachments

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I have the solid engine mounts in my install. With four points on the engine bolted to the frame / subframe, is that cable still needed? I do not have a separate grounding wire installed right now and the engine is running fine.
I would assume if you are still using the rubber engine mounts, that the cable would be necessary.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I have the solid engine mounts in my install. With four points on the engine bolted to the frame / subframe, is that cable still needed? I do not have a separate grounding wire installed right now and the engine is running fine.
I would assume if you are still using the rubber engine mounts, that the cable would be necessary.
It is just extra weight if you have the solid engine mounts. Even with the rubber engine mounts, the Goblin frame has solid mounts to the transmission and on the cam chain side of the engine... so that strap is still extra weight.

Indy Lonnie

That goes from your starter to the positive lug (jumper point) on your fuse box. The angled portion goes to the fuse box.

Ross

Goblin Guru
That goes from your starter to the positive lug (jumper point) on your fuse box. The angled portion goes to the fuse box.
Glad you identified it as a critical part, as I mis-identified it as a useless ground. Might have known it if it was red.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru

...it was taped to the positive cable going from the starter motor to the fuse box.
Sounds like a ground wire to me. :) Like Ross mentioned you can ditch it if your engine already had a good ground to the frame. I don't have an SC but I didn't use that wire either. It's a quick 5 extra HP from the weight savings alone.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Dang. Sorry I threw everybody off thinking it was just a ground wire. Thank you forum!!!!