Have these three extra wires, where do they go?

Hammer

Yeah I think it’s the abs, I’m going to remove all the grounds again idk why but still no start and the throttle body doesn’t move either fuel pump is primed and has power but it still won’t turn over and there is stilll a clicking relay on the bcm when I try to start it, I relearned the key too. Not sure what’s going on.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Pretty sure those wires have nothing to do with ABS. I don't recall what they are, since I did my harness almost 4 years ago now, but I believe they are addressed in the wiring videos.

No throttle body movement means no data flow to the ECM. Trace your data wires (tan and tan/black twisted pair) from the OBDII port all the way back to the ECM, check continuity. Note, they change to brown for one step of the way, for some reason.

Chris_WNC

Do those go to the little sensor around the key hole?

I'm going by some old photos and I have a red or pink, br/wht, and gr coming from a bundle heading toward the ignition switch. I can't see where it connects going by the photos though. I can look later after I get home from work.

ennonne

Theft Deterrent Control Module (GM name) is a 5 pin connector with 4 wires:

Pin​
Wire​
Circuit​
Function​
1​
0.35 RD/WH​
1540​
Battery Positive Voltage​
2​
0.35 BN​
4​
Accessory Voltage Signal​
3​
0.35 BK/WH​
1051​
Ground​
4​
0.35 D-GN​
5060​
Low Speed GMLAN Serial Data​
5​
—​
—​
Not Used​

Two wire colors match up, but not the grey. Grey is used for the cruise control wiring, and dash illumination, but those would be smaller wires. That's not a brown wire is it?

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
That grey wire has me stumped. The color seems wrong - too dark - and it seems to be a different strand than is typically used in auto wiring. It may just be the pic, but it reminds me of the typical spool of wire you get at Lowes.

ennonne

So if it's brown....

One of the CAN wires is 0.5 brown (odd the rest are TN and TN/BK). And is at the power steering module, so in the ball park. If that's it, could explain the no start, as the network is incomplete.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Thanks for calling out the tan to brown pair change. I had seen it but didn’t really notice what I was looking at. I thought the twisted pair browns were doing something else. Good to know.

ennonne

I should say that the above stuff is for a 2008 Cobalt. Other years may differ. But the larger brown wire shown above is documented in a few places in the service stuff. Good to know you have seen it, so the documentation is known to be correct.

Just need to hear back from Hammer, see what he finds.

Hammer

Pretty sure those wires have nothing to do with ABS. I don't recall what they are, since I did my harness almost 4 years ago now, but I believe they are addressed in the wiring videos.

No throttle body movement means no data flow to the ECM. Trace your data wires (tan and tan/black twisted pair) from the OBDII port all the way back to the ECM, check continuity. Note, they change to brown for one step of the way, for some reason.
Idk I have the data wires all connected so I’m just stumped at this point.

Hammer

Theft Deterrent Control Module (GM name) is a 5 pin connector with 4 wires:

Pin​
Wire​
Circuit​
Function​
1​
0.35 RD/WH​
1540​
Battery Positive Voltage​
2​
0.35 BN​
4​
Accessory Voltage Signal​
3​
0.35 BK/WH​
1051​
Ground​
4​
0.35 D-GN​
5060​
Low Speed GMLAN Serial Data​
5​
—​
—​
Not Used​

Two wire colors match up, but not the grey. Grey is used for the cruise control wiring, and dash illumination, but those would be smaller wires. That's not a brown wire is it?
It looks grey idk man I just can’t believe I can’t the thing to fire just stumped at this point

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
A wire should have to ends. Trace them back either visually, with continuity tester or using a tone generator to test them. Once you find where they pin out, you can figure out what they do.

Hammer

So if it's brown....

View attachment 45273

One of the CAN wires is 0.5 brown (odd the rest are TN and TN/BK). And is at the power steering module, so in the ball park. If that's it, could explain the no start, as the network is incomplete.
Idk it looks grey to me it’s looks too light to be brown. Idk what else to check at this point I’ll take all the wiring off and inspect it and see I can figure something out outside of that just confused on if I did something wrong, all good I’m sure I’ll eventually figure it out or I guess I’ll have to get another harness thanks for your help everyone.

Hammer

A wire should have to ends. Trace them back either visually, with continuity tester or using a tone generator to test them. Once you find where they pin out, you can figure out what they do.
Yeah I’m just taking all the wires apart again it’s too hard to see with them on there and connected let you know what I can find, thanks for your help

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
My car is apart and up on jack stands right now, but my wiring is still fully wrapped. I'll try to spy these wires and let you know what I find, but I'm not going to rip my harness open to do it.

Traé

I have my harness in the basement somewhat unwrapped. I have the green and pink with a white striped pulled near the ignition like you do and labeled “driver mirror turn signal” I have an orange wire with them though. I’ll try to watch through the wiring harness videos again and see if I can remember pulling them together.

Attachments

Hammer

Yeah thanks for checking I have the turn signal wires squared away but unless I was supposed to cut the others in my picture out I’m not sure where they go