Heat Exchanger Question

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I have a question after looking through the heat exchanger installation contents. Are we supposed to use Teflon tape when installing the white plastic elbow units?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Any threads that are NPT (National Pipe Tapered) need a thread sealant. So anything that is solely thread on thread to seal should have it. My preferred is Teflon tape but a Teflon paste usually works.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
Yes, use Teflon. And double check all hose clamps. I'm chasing a leak and have decided the only way to ensure I have a good seal at the pex is to drain and start over. Planning on installing the front rubber 90s onto the pex first, then laying the pex in the tunnel. Next connecting the pex at the rear while I can still have some front/back movement to ensure a good seal, then install the rubber 90s onto the heat exchanger 90s. I think I'm not getting a good seal at the rear because it is difficult to install the hose onto the pex at the rear (and front) since the junction is almost even with the end of the tunnel.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I shall use the Teflon tape then. I've not ever used the paste, so not wanting to experiment here. I am thinking about just ditching the PEX and going with something else from the PTFE elbow all the way to the pump and inlet. Possibly some clear heater hose so I can see the fluid run in the little bits of open hose that are exposed.

My heat exchanger came with two AN looking fittings, any ideas where those are supposed to go?

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
The black AN fittings came with the heat exchanger and won't be used w/ the Goblin unless you want to do something very custom.

Chubbs

Even with tape, mine still leaked about a drop per hour. A very slow leak. After maybe a week, it stopped, and hasn't been an issue since.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Depending on how.tight the fittings are and how thick the tape is, you sometimes need to add 4-5 layers or more.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Oh wow! I'm really starting to wonder if my two loops of Teflon were enough.
Depends on how thick your tape is. If the cheapest thing you can find, there is a decent chance that it isn't enough. Of course I'm usually dealing with higher pressures than the heat exchanger loop.

If you haven't already added the liquid, I would probably recommend redoing it. But it might work.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Depends on how thick your tape is. If the cheapest thing you can find, there is a decent chance that it isn't enough. Of course I'm usually dealing with higher pressures than the heat exchanger loop.

If you haven't already added the liquid, I would probably recommend redoing it. But it might work.
I haven't yet. I just have it bolted into place, most likely will go back and do a thicker Teflon application just to be safe.

Jareth

Goblin Guru
This was missing from my delivery last week so just got it today, seems to pretty to install hidden in front under the hood. Any one install it somewhere where else?

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Permanently temporarily installed with zip ties, been there over a year. I am working on a 3d printed mount and duct combo piece, but it's not been a high priority for me lately.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
This was missing from my delivery last week so just got it today, seems to pretty to install hidden in front under the hood. Any one install it somewhere where else?
I considered painting my HX unit black as the blue clashes with out color scheme. In the end, I didn't as it won't be seen very much in it's current hiding spot. Maybe in the future I'll change it if it goes to a side of the rear mount spot.

Permanently temporarily installed with zip ties, been there over a year. I am working on a 3d printed mount and duct combo piece, but it's not been a high priority for me lately.
I like that! A scoop or a side pod would be pretty BA.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I started printing the parts with PLA last year before I fully comprehended how unsuitable it would be for the application. Got the HX mouted on it without any of the duct pieces, but ended up going back to zippy bois after a day with both rain and 100° heat and direct sunlight trashed the PLA. I've been reprinting pieces in PETG as I have time. Heat exchanger mounts to the bosses I've circled in red, the frame tubes run through the top and bottom cavities, and the diagonal frame tube runs through the hole in the center at the back. I do like having the heat exchanger behind me, I can reach around and touch it to see how warm it is, and I don't think it's ever felt well above ambient temperatures, so I think it works there.