Heat exchanger

Adam in CLE

Wasn't sure where to post...sorry. mounting heat exchanger and fan and have a few questions. Could use help on the following: pictures of the direction of brackets? Looks like to nutserts on frame but 4 mounting holes in brackets. Should fan be wired to radiator fan?

Adam in CLE

Also, my brackets were too big to in-between the mount on the heat exchanger, about 1/8" off. Seems like too much to fudge and don't want to break heat exchanger.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I didn’t use the DF heat exchanger so can’t help there. I think there was a wire separated during the videos to use to power the fan but I don’t remember the color. I wired mine to come on with thee key in run but also to be able to turn them off with a switch when I want to.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
If your brackets are off by just a little you likely need to flip them around the other way - that's what I had to do. I didn't check the pictures before installing.

Adam in CLE

Quick follow up. I am running the fan not the ducts. Thoughts on mounting on top vs bottom. Not sure which is better, push the air or pull the air?

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
The fan is wired to hot with ignition on. There should be a wire labeled for that in the harness (I can’t remember the color wire). The fan is mounted on top of the HE. Pulling air is always better than pushing air, but I have mine set up to push, plus I have a stronger fan for it too (as well as the main rad).
9A695F74-4F61-4A54-96E8-EB68F6DF7596.jpeg

Adam in CLE

Exactly what I needed. Thank you. I maybe missing a wire...I recall one for the radiator but not the HE. Hopefully it's there when I check later today.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Easy enough to add a relay feeding off of something like you intercooler pump if you don’t find the right wire.
Actually, I think I did something similar. I think I missed the wire somewhere and added a relay to turn on with ignition to run the HE fan. It’s been a couple of years though, hard to remember.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
When doing the harness, you should have ended up with 2 wires for the HE fan up near the front with the headlight wires. If you skipped over that, maybe you have an extra power cable zip tied to your harness? You can't use the purple one though.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
When doing the harness, you should have ended up with 2 wires for the HE fan up near the front with the headlight wires. If you skipped over that, maybe you have an extra power cable zip tied to your harness? You can't use the purple one though.
I know I kept a couple of “ignition power” wires as fail safe circuits, in case I missed something somewhere or wanted to add accessories. I have them marked in the wiring harness.

Jareth

Goblin Guru
For those of you that run a fan on the Heat Exchanger, what fan did you purchase? Do you run the fan all the time?

Jareth

Goblin Guru
I’ve selected the Supercharged Option that comes with the heat exchanger, dose it come with a fan also?

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Email DF support and ask. Mine came with the kit, but I had to buy the second one for the secondary heat exchanger. I believe it comes with a fan if you didn’t select the NACA ducts option