Help - No key or push button start

GoblinGuyZ

Purchased a complete car recently, owner just finished it so I'm still doing a little snag work. He had the wiring Harness Rework option from DF but the key does not start the vehicle and he has a push button installed by the dash but told me he thinks it needs a resistor as it doesn't work either. I was told it's wired directly to the starter. Right now the only way to start the vehicle is a small button on a fuse in the fuse box at the back. As you can imagine not very practical if you are alone and cut out anywhere and won't pass inspection as I want to make it road worthy. Is this a common issue or any idea where I should begin to trouble shoot? Thanks again

Ross

Goblin Guru
The LSJ has VATS, so you probably have a key fob right beside the passkey 3+ reader, so that the car has a real key fob to satisfy the security. If that key fob's battery dies, it will stop working. Look around the steering column area, and see if you can find a key fob taped to the wire harness.

Last edited:

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
The LSJ has VATS, so you probably have a key fob right beside the passkey 3+ reader, so that the car has a real key fob to satisfy the security. If that key fob's battery dies, it will stop working. Look around the steering column area, and see if you can find a key fob taped to the wire harness.
So the remote fob itself has the VATS transmitter? I thought it was only in the key because mine has that + on it.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I'm pretty sure it's in the key and it's an RFID-like chip, where the sensor in the ignition switch can tell that it's the correct coded chip within range. No battery in the key.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I thought the security disabled the fuel pump so it might be something else entirely. Does the security light stay on or flash?

Ross

Goblin Guru
The key does have the chip. I have a push button start and my key is taped to the receiver part of the wiring.

There’s a good write up about installing a push button start here: https://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/push-button-start-system.899/
Nice!
So you guys are right, the chip is in the key, so no battery required.

Chad mentions (in the thread JamesM provided):
"VATS will still have to be dealt with, either by disabling it using HP tuners or keeping the key inside the black ring and taping it up under the dash. I understand certain controllers cannot have VATS disabled such as the E69, but my P12 can."

GoblinGuyZ

I thought the security disabled the fuel pump so it might be something else entirely. Does the security light stay on or flash?
Security light comes on for a few seconds then goes off with the other lights. When I go to start nothing happens and the security light will pop back on then go off after a couple seconds. Doesn't stay on permanently