Hydraulic parking brake

Markm

Is anyone using a hydraulic parking brake for a different approach to the manual park brake? I was just thinking about them the other day and thought it would help cut some cost on an upcoming build

Markm

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Arizona doesn't require a hand brake, so a hydraulic brake is in the works for my Goblin. Check with your local laws to determine if it can be used in place of a hand brake.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Just remember that, legal requirements aside, the hydraulic brake doesn’t really serve the purpose of the emergency/parking brake. It’s not good as emergency brake since if you loose the main hydraulic system it doesn’t work. As a parking brake, it will eventually lose pressure and not hold.

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
One question I always had: does the goblin have 2 independent hydraulic systems for the break? Like front left and rear right together on one and front right and rear left on a separate one?

Markm

One question I always had: does the goblin have 2 independent hydraulic systems for the break? Like front left and rear right together on one and front right and rear left on a separate one?
It’ll be both front brakes on one circuit and both rear brakes on the second circuit. If you want to add the optional proportioning valve it goes in the rear fluid circuit which is where I’ll be plumbing in the hydraulic park brake valve

Sparvy

It’ll be both front brakes on one circuit and both rear brakes on the second circuit. If you want to add the optional proportioning valve it goes in the rear fluid circuit which is where I’ll be plumbing in the hydraulic park brake valve
The proportioning valve should go on the front brake circuit so you can lessen the pressure to the front brakes as they will lock before the rears the way the system is balanced for the Cobalt. You actually lessen the front bite quite a bit to get the threshold braking where the fronts go just a bit before the rears.

Markm

The proportioning valve should go on the front brake circuit so you can lessen the pressure to the front brakes as they will lock before the rears the way the system is balanced for the Cobalt. You actually lessen the front bite quite a bit to get the threshold braking where the fronts go just a bit before the rears.
Thanks for letting me know that. I haven’t gotten that far just yet. Years ago I had to put a proportioning valve in my mustang cause the rear brakes were locking up but I guess it is reversed in the Goblin

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
You probably need to confirm which locks first. Mine locks the rear first. Probably depends a lot on tire size and brake pad compound and maybe even short vs long chassis..

Dale E

Just a caution note: @Markm and others. Please do not use those hydraulic brake units like posted. They mostly do not work on a flat surface and do loose their holding on a slightly graded driveway or ground. Broken ankle made again with Titanium screws and plate will be possible. That car washing was expensive.

Tennessee is way more hilly than Kansas - so for sure not worth it.

Use the cable brake or maybe an electric one as in some new cars. Does the electric brake still function if the battery goes dead? Hmmmm! Carry a 6 inch 2x4 for extra safety or the chock blocks!!