Ignition switch key or?

Gr8wheels

I got my ’07 Chevy Cobalt SS home last night, it was an auction vehicle that staTed that it was running and driving but they lost the key. The Chevy dealer says that I must have a title, registration and license that match in my name to cut a key. A forklift put it on the trailer and the wheels are locked in a turn position and I cant just pull or push it off. So, should I drill it out?
Will I need the FOB for the build? The trailer is rented due back today so a quick and easy solution would be nice.
Any advice and/or suggestions are appreciated.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Buy these now, they are useful later. You will be taking the steering column out of the donor... that also will work, but not quick. Drilling the ignition is probably not going to work, as you need to get the lock pin out of the steering column, and if you don't know where it is, you are drilling in the dark.

95Blitz

You can also use a floor jack to get it off the trailer or you can just disconnect the steering shaft from the rack then turn the wheels by hand with the car jack up in the front.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
You should be able to remove the entire lock assembly since we have to do that anyway but it might be a slower process than you are looking for. Ross's idea is probably the best if the dollies will work for your trailer ramp situation. Another option would be to pull the wheels and brake loose the front tie rod ends and set the wheels straight but You probably need more people to keep the wheels going in the right direction.

Lndshrk Steve

I lost my key after the disassembly. Dealer told me the same. I found a local locksmith that specialized in car locks. Walked into their office with the ignition switch in my hand. $50 and an hour later I had a key.

Gr8wheels

Thanks, I used a jack and got it off the trailer.
so, now it would be great to start it. The folks at Copart said the title will take 4-6 weeks. I’ve spoken to locksmith’s,a ,dealer and Independant guys, they all need a clean title so a legitimate key with the chip properly addressed is 4-6 weeks away.
if there is a way to start it let me know.
You guys are a great help. Thanks

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I guess if you turn of VATS and with the wiring diagram you could do it without a new ignition switch by just jumping wires at the switch connector. Again, maybe.

Gr8wheels

I found some stuff with perhaps the previous owners name. I’ll google the name and see if they might have a key in their junk drawer - a long shot but who knows.
When the auction site stated that the key was missing, I didn’t think it was a big deal because I didn’t know that inexpensive cars had a anti theft chip.-( here’s where I disclose that I’m a dinosaur and haven’t paid attention to
cars,technology,etc. Basically I’m a points, distributor and carburetor guy using this project to catch-up on tech.
and get back in my shop after a 10 year battle with health issues.
This is an exciting project for me on numerous levels. I can wait for the new title but it would be nice to get it started
so I can figure out what the auto needs.