Inner tie rod thread count with goblin supplied tie rod ends

D&dgoblin69

Ever wonder how many threads you’re steering on? Well I know I wondered when aligning my goblin front toes.i have taken pictures of before and after removal of goblin supplied tie rod ends. Total thread counted left and right 20. I had a split of 8 and 12 threads for my tie rod ends.I ordered Detroit axle tie rod ends for a colbalt standard 2.2. See if I can make ‘em fit I might cut them a bit if there to long. I think 8 to 10 threads for a tie rod end on a 1500lb car is plenty. I allways like to upgrade as I go and being Iam installing rack limiter I was allready working on it. I’ll add details on longer tie rod ends when they arrive.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
Did you put the shorter, DF supplied, tie rod ends on the front of the goblin
and put the longer Cobalt tie rod ends on the rear of the goblin?
I have heard that the length of engaged threads should be the same (at least) length as the rod is in diameter. So a 14mm shaft, should have at least 14mm of thread engagement.

D&dgoblin69

Yes I used the supplied goblin tie rod ends up front. 25.4 mm equals a inch so 14 mm is 9/16 of an inch standard measurement. 8 to 10 threads is right at 14mm of threads that holds the outter tie rod to the inner tie rod. Yes I put the donor tie rods in the back.

Last edited:

Joebob

Goblin Guru
Also keep in mind that for every turn out of the 2 larger helm joints on the hub mount as well as on the 4 helm joints for the control arms takes a thread turn away from the tie rods as you are moving the hubs away from the body without affecting alignment. You should start with all the helm joints bottomed out and start adjusting from there for caster and camber. The result will be the maximum thread engagement on the tie rod ends.

D&dgoblin69

Also keep in mind that for every turn out of the 2 larger helm joints on the hub mount as well as on the 4 helm joints for the control arms takes a thread turn away from the tie rods as you are moving the hubs away from the body without affecting alignment. You should start with all the helm joints bottomed out and start adjusting from there for caster and camber. The result will be the maximum thread engagement on the tie rod ends.
Good information on the helm joints on upper lower and knuckles affecting tie rods. My front camber is -1.2. And -1.1. I don’t know my caster spread. My goal now is to -.5 front camber. Check caster. Toe in +.15 . I ordered struts off df site to get the ride height adjusted. My donor strut is leaked out making a tapping noise they need to go and I never cut the springs. Goal for this is keep front and rear toe links level straight as an arrow and lower control arms level as well.thanks to this forums direction from experience. When I get back in town I’ll count my helm threads I turned them out as per a suggested link I found here. My rear camber is -1.0 and rear toe zero out .