Instrument Cluster Interchangeability

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
Question for the electrical hive mind - Are GM clusters interchangeable between different models? Not specifically a Goblin/Cobalt question, but can a cluster from say an '09 G5 be used to replace an '06 Cobalt cluster? Is there general rule such as "if the connector matches and they are both CANBUS"? I'm considering a dash swap for a different GM project and the cluster shape is different so can't just swap clusters to ensure compatibility.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
There is at least some logic built into some of the clusters to validate data is being passed.

I would be surprised if there really is a general rule especially as you get into newer stuff since it often has to be programmed based upon VIN. And by newer I mean 2010 or so as CANBUS was fully implemented. I would think that older stuff might be more likely to work.

This is really just speculation on part based upon only a little knowledge. But this is probably going to be a "you have to try it to know". Maybe one of the ls swap forums might have more info.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I have ran a 120 mph instrument panel and a 160 mph one in my car. Both IPs were from a 2006 Cobalt, just different engine options. I thought that the speedometer might indicate wrong, but no, the IP showed the correct speed no matter which IP was used.

ennonne

It's more than just being a "CANBUS" cluster. There's multiple busses even in 20 year old stuff. There's also a bunch of different messages that can be on different busses. For a cluster to work in needs to be on the right bus, and see the right messages.

That said, some stuff swaps around, some doesn't. Have any specific pairings in mind?