Intercooler Options for LSJ-T

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I was actually doing some research on this last night. I’m no physicist, but the OTTP manifold sure does look like it would flow better. Even it though still appears to have room for improvement. Does anyone know anything about the science behind intake manifold design? I was thinking of trying to fabricate my own
Plenum volume, runner length and diameter, and interior angles all play into the design of an intake manifold. Shorter/wider runners push the peak torque higher in the RPM band, as does a larger plenum. And having a boosted engine can complicate the whole process. Flow testing and acoustical tuning (air pulses) can be calculated, but only actual flow bench and engine dyno testing can determine what actually works for any given engine.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
I was actually doing some research on this last night. I’m no physicist, but the OTTP manifold sure does look like it would flow better. Even it though still appears to have room for improvement. Does anyone know anything about the science behind intake manifold design? I was thinking of trying to fabricate my own
Doesn't look hard to copy something like TurboTech's: https://www.turbotechracing.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=5437

Use a gasket as a stencil for the mounting plate. Design the pieces in CAD. Upload the individual pieces to SendCutSend for creation. Source some piping for the "velocity stacks". Weld er all together. Wouldn't be toooo bad

Cnixon160

I'm a tad late here but here's my take on the intercooler setup, while it's not an LSJ it conveys the point quite well and has absolutely zero effect on rearward vision, I haven't made more than 6-8psi yet but it's within a few degrees of ambient without any fans or anything

Attachments

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I'm a tad late here but here's my take on the intercooler setup, while it's not an LSJ it conveys the point quite well and has absolutely zero effect on rearward vision, I haven't made more than 6-8psi yet but it's within a few degrees of ambient without any fans or anything
Which intercooler is this, and could you share a few more pictures of the clamp mounts?

Cnixon160

Here is the intercooler

Here are the clamps, the turbos side is 2.5" and the outlet to the engine is 3"

I used a strip of 1x¼ steel for the mount and made it flush with the radius on the rear of the factory subframe

Bfekid

How well does air actually flow to that intercooler tho?

Cnixon160

How well does air actually flow to that intercooler tho?
It's within a few degrees of ambient at all times, usually a 15-20 degree difference on ~13 psi, I'm sure if I added fans the low speed performance would improve