Just getting started

AMCAMX1969

New to this, just placed deposit on extended, full cage, easy entry, turbo Goblin.

So far I purchased a Cobalt SS 2.4 Automatic for 200 dollars (So cheap I couldn't pass it up) and a new ATK LNF motor

I may keep the automatic and use a stand alone transmission controller, still looking for a wrecked or not running SS/TC to get the wiring harness/computer or I might possibly go with a stand alone harness for the motor. (searched the forum and haven't seen anyone else do this yet)

GM EcoTec Standalone Harness – Swap Specialties

E-Trans Control (e-transcontrol.com)

Any thoughts on going this route?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Welcome to the forum.

Going with a new engine will open up the options when finding a SS/TC donor. You can get a totally trashed, high-mileage unit for the electronics and use many of the $200 car parts for other things. But not everything will swap such as the axles. The biggest thing I can see is that you will have to get a complete wiring harness and ECM and BCM to get started.

With those pre-made harness, all the options add up fast to as much or more than an entire donor. Then it's on you to add/subtract the actual items needed and to rewire the length of the harness to fit this car. Seems like a lot of extra work, time, and $$$. And then you still need the electronics.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
You could go that routs on the harness if you wanted a simple, clean, basic harness to start. The smaller fuse box would be nice since much of the OEM fuse box is no longer used.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Welcome. Sounds like you are off to a quick start with a kit ordered and a viable donor already.
As stated, going with a totally destroyed SS/TC may be your best bet, since these can be found occasionally for under $1K. Some parts will be resaleable from even a total wreck to offset the initial cost of the TC donor. Compared to the $500 outlay for the custom wire harness for a LNF (not sure if this includes the ECM), you may come out money ahead.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Another option is wiring from a HHR ss/tc auto. Rob the trans and everything else from the 2.4 ss. I've got most of the difffemces outlined in my build. There will be a little welding involved. You'd need to change main fuse block/ecm/tcm mounts, brake switch mount, steering gear and computer mount, and probably a few other things I'm not remembering.