Just picked up my doner!

DUNE

Hey everyone!
I don't really have anything revolutionary to share, I'm just excited and wanted to share the news

I've been looking for a cobalt ss (preferably the turbo) to use for a doner for the last 5 months or so with no luck. I'd begin to give up hope on my exact specs when I found a 2009 cobalt ss turbo at a auction in Saskatchewan with only 91,000km! Won the bid for $1,200 and just got the car picked up!

Vehicle had some good damage to the front rad area and was not running. With approx $50 worth of parts and a few hours of work she's alive and running strong! Engine ticks loudly but I hear that is standard for this engine. Intercooler, radiator, ac condenser are all beyond repair, but if I'm correct I don't think I'll need them on the Goblin TC kit?

Now I'm looking to pick put together a kit order. Are there anything you guys wished you did differently of your build or advice for kit choices? I'm currently debating on whether to get the Corbeaus or find something cheaper local. Also considering the 5x114.3 adapters, any recommendations?

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Welcome.

I'd have gone double-door bars instead of full door bars. I would also have just bought 5x114.3 adapters instead of getting the hubs redrilled. Otherwise, I wouldn't have changed anything except some of my processes. I learned a lot between the beginning and end of my build, and the beginning would have benefitted from some of that new-found knowledge.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I believe for the Turbo and Base models you can ditch the A/C setup by removing the compressor and using a base model without A/C belt. You'll get a new radiator and I believe a whole new intercooler setup. I have a S/C model, so just basing off what I've seen on other builds I've read through. I'd let a TC member chime in for confirmation.

Did you figure out your importing the DF chassis concern?

Things I wish I had ordered: anything you think you may want later! I ended up ordering a quick release steering wheel setup even before the car was completed. I wish I had ordered the DF shift kit, but I found something to keep me ok for a while. I'm also considering ordering the tow kit soon and might get the rear wing mounts at that time. I could have saved a bit on shipping if I had just done this at the beginning. All the other upgrades on my build were great. I did do my whole kit at one payment, so it all shipped at one time. I didn't do stages as most do.
I shouldn't have ordered the boost gauge mount but it was only $10 or $15. I ended up getting a double gauge holder 3D printed.

Now that Ark mentions the hubs, that would have been an easier way to get to the 5x114.3 spacing. Then you'd still have the option to go back to 5x110 if you so desired.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
Upgrades - DF shifter, quick release steering, instrument cluster button kit, license plate light. I wound up either ordering from DF later or sourcing myself, but wish I had just ordered those at the beginning.

Upgrade seats too. DF Corbeaus should be easy but w/ a little work, there are cheaper options (see my build). Wish I would have added a four point harness bar.

Glad I ordered double door bars.

Goblinfanclub1234

you got a great deal on that donor :)

turbo engines (LNF) cannot remove the a/c condenser or the belt will hit on other things, but I was able to gut my compressor so its basically just a pulley now.

Last edited:

DUNE

I believe for the Turbo and Base models you can ditch the A/C setup by removing the compressor and using a base model without A/C belt. You'll get a new radiator and I believe a whole new intercooler setup. I have a S/C model, so just basing off what I've seen on other builds I've read through. I'd let a TC member chime in for confirmation.

Did you figure out your importing the DF chassis concern?

Things I wish I had ordered: anything you think you may want later! I ended up ordering a quick release steering wheel setup even before the car was completed. I wish I had ordered the DF shift kit, but I found something to keep me ok for a while. I'm also considering ordering the tow kit soon and might get the rear wing mounts at that time. I could have saved a bit on shipping if I had just done this at the beginning. All the other upgrades on my build were great. I did do my whole kit at one payment, so it all shipped at one time. I didn't do stages as most do.
I shouldn't have ordered the boost gauge mount but it was only $10 or $15. I ended up getting a double gauge holder 3D printed.

Now that Ark mentions the hubs, that would have been an easier way to get to the 5x114.3 spacing. Then you'd still have the option to go back to 5x110 if you so desired.
Thanks for the info! I spoke with Adam and got all the paperwork to file, fingers crossed that goes smoothly. You prefer the billet DF shifter over the stock shifter?

DUNE

Upgrades - DF shifter, quick release steering, instrument cluster button kit, license plate light. I wound up either ordering from DF later or sourcing myself, but wish I had just ordered those at the beginning.

Upgrade seats too. DF Corbeaus should be easy but w/ a little work, there are cheaper options (see my build). Wish I would have added a four point harness bar.

Glad I ordered double door bars.
Just took a look at your seats and those look awesome. What type are they? How tricky were they to mount?

Ark :D

Goblin Guru

turbo engines (LNF) cannot remove the a/c condenser or the belt will hit on other things, but I was able to gut my compressor so its basically just a pulley now.
I was able to pull the a/c condenser off my LNF engine fully, just replacing the belt with a shorter one. Perhaps there's something non-stock about your engine.

Goblinfanclub1234

I was able to pull the a/c condenser off my LNF engine fully, just replacing the belt with a shorter one. Perhaps there's something non-stock about your engine.
*face palm* yes you are right I just went out and double checked. I might have to take it off.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru

View attachment 37969
Hmm, did you mean removal on the LSJ? Because the AC can be removed and a shorter belt can be installed with no issues. I have done this on my LNF and there is no interference or contact with anything else on the front of the engine.

20211010_142014.jpg