Kit Welded Incorrectly?

KingChuck24

So I am trying to install the steering rack but there seems to be incorrect spacing for the steering rack holes.

They are too close together to fit both of the bolts in:

I can put the left side in but the right side will not fit and I can put the right side in and the left side wont fit. The photo shows one side in and the other side is off by a couple of millimeters. Not really sure what to do.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Not sure there's a good, quick answer for this one, first time this issue has been seen. Call DF and see if Lonny has an answer. I'm sure no one on the forum wants to lead you to a possible solution that could jeopardize your frame mounts or the integrity of the steering rack.

I have an idea, but contact Lonny directly first.

Brett

Definitely check with DF. Like the hairy one said, first time I have seen an issue like this report.

Wonder if you could put a ratch strap on the collar the bolt passes through and get enough flex to get the bolt in.

Since this is steering related, I would highly suggest contacting DF before modifying anything.

Brett

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Does your rack has the slotted mount hole on the passenger side?
20220926_125801.jpg

This should allow for some lateral movement if the frame mounts are slightly off.

My idea was to get a second slotted bushing and replace the round hole bushing.

KingChuck24

So a little update. I was able to flex it in place:
It is extremely tight but it seems to be working and all. I had to use a mallet to hammer the bolts through. Now I have run into another issue where my steering shaft won't collapse and it also runs into the aluminum panel. Still not sure if I need to contact Lonny but if I find some time I probably will.

KSLunsfo

So a little update. I was able to flex it in place:View attachment 35824 It is extremely tight but it seems to be working and all. I had to use a mallet to hammer the bolts through. Now I have run into another issue where my steering shaft won't collapse and it also runs into the aluminum panel. Still not sure if I need to contact Lonny but if I find some time I probably will.
The steering column/ bulkhead panel interference is very common. That usually has to be trimmed a bit.

There are different methods and varying levels of force that have been used to separate the column halves. After fooling with mine for a while, and doing a crude time/cost analysis in my head I determined buying a new one made the most sense...

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
So a little update. I was able to flex it in place:View attachment 35824 It is extremely tight but it seems to be working and all. I had to use a mallet to hammer the bolts through. Now I have run into another issue where my steering shaft won't collapse and it also runs into the aluminum panel. Still not sure if I need to contact Lonny but if I find some time I probably will.
Both of your next issues are common. I didn't even try fixing my steering shaft and picked up a new one for how cheap they are. I didn't have trouble with it hitting the firewall as many others have, but I had trouble with clutch pedal clearance. I wiggled stuff around and even tried shimming the EPS unit before getting it all to line up right without interference.

KingChuck24

Sounds good, which steering shaft did you decide to purchase. I am looking on rock auto and there are a couple to choose from.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Both of your next issues are common. I didn't even try fixing my steering shaft and picked up a new one for how cheap they are. I didn't have trouble with it hitting the firewall as many others have, but I had trouble with clutch pedal clearance. I wiggled stuff around and even tried shimming the EPS unit before getting it all to line up right without interference.
I also had this issue and ordered a new one of the Amazons. It was easier than fighting with the seized unit.

I did have trouble with the firewall, so I cut out my hole bigger. Do it off the car if at all possible, it was a pain on it.

GoblinGuyZ

When you're welding stuff like this even with a jig those tight tolerance areas just have to be off by an 1/16th or a degree and you could run into issues like that. Add in variations in cobalt parts and even hardware and sometimes you just have to bring out the rubber mallet and massage it.