Low Speed GMLAN

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I came across a post yesterday that has me questioning some of what I did on thinning my body harness (donor 2009 TC) this last weekend. I cut out and de-pinned a green low speed GMLAN connection from the body control connector. I think this was likely one of the wires that connected into the radio equipment in rear shelf compartment (XM, ONSTAR components). Does this need to be added back and tied into the other low speed GMLAN connections? They all had he same circuit #.

Thanks.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Generally, the Cobalt radio is removed from the wiring harness. Some people add a music back in, but I don't know of anyone using the complex Cobalt radio system.
The low speed GMLAN is all the same green wires tied together.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Thanks Ross. This isn't the radio itself, but some of the radio/communication related equipment. I guess since it is the same circuit #, it won't hurt to add it back in and connect it up even if it isn't necessary. It will be a lot easier now vs adding it back in later.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Just to make sure I'm clear and since I don't have the service manual in front of me, the pins that are referenced in the post linked above are for the dash harness to BCM (which I haven't gotten to) since the pins in the body harness to BCM connector were numbered and I know those connections weren't in the body harness.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
That sounds correct, since the "furtherest back" in the harness the retained wires go is the BCM. Anything related to low-speed GMLAN that was remotely near the rear shelf is not kept.

*edit* The pin references are for the connector that aggregates all the green GMLAN wires together. That connector should be cut out and all the remaining green GMLAN wires, soldered/joined together without the connector.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Don't get too far ahead of yourself. When I was working through my harness, I had the same issue: my mind would create questions, I'd ask them on the forum, and find out that my questions would be answered later in the natural course of working through the harness videos. Two things to remember:

1) The newer series was recorded using a SS/TC harness and it's very well organized and thorough.
2) If something is not mentioned in the video and you feel like it should have been, it probably will be later. Don't presume no mention of a wire means "cut it out", it does not.

Hope this helps a little. I was where you are now, around January, and I got through it. So will you.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
10-4. For the most part, it went pretty smooth, other than some damage to the harness that I had to figure out, and a ground on the BCM connector that I need to add back.