Lsd Insert

Anyone on here run an insert style limited slip differential (I.e. a phantom grip) ? Im looking at limited slip options for my F23 and im leaning heavily towards the insert style LSD from Team Green . They seem to have quite a few happy customers. They have been around for several years and from my research generally have positive reviews about their product. I did find a few unfavorable threads on different forums but it seemed to be mostly second hand hear say type commentary . Im looking for some first hand experience from someone whos owned a vehicle or at least driven a vehicle equipped with this style of limited slip differential. How does it perform was it effective? How do they hold up over time? Any unfavorable driving/handling characteristics? Funny noises? Im somewhat concerned about the longevity of the insert itself as well as its effect on the differential carrier assembly and side gears. Luckily F23 trasaxles can be had very inexpensively and I have an extra so if I destroy a differential in the process I will just chock it up as a science experiment...

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Hmm, depending upon the forces being applied to the steel block, the sections between the hole and side cutout looks thin in the photos - imo. I hope my view is incorrect and this piece works very well becoming an alternative to a full LSD install. :cool:

95Blitz

Hmm, depending upon the forces being applied to the steel block, the sections between the hole and side cutout looks thin in the photos - imo. I hope my view is incorrect and this piece works very well becoming an alternative to a full LSD install. :cool:
Hey DS, if you haven't seen the install check this out.
If the F35 wasn't a pain in the azz to take apart I would give it a try.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Dang, that's far worse. Glad I bought the F40, it's far easier to work on - when I get ready to install my Quaife LSD sometime in the not too distant future.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Each person has their own sense of what is of value to them, regardless of what is an 'up front' cost, when they build their Goblin. Having a new transmission versus installing a used one from a donor, that typically has an unknown history, is of benefit to some. Yes, there are some new F35s still floating around, but many don't have the LSD installed.
The point of this thread was about getting an LSD into a transmission that doesn't have one and if the available limited slip insert would work. Pointing out that opening a F35, or F23, to work on it requires some special tools and techniques - as seen in the posted videos - may not be something that everyone would want to tackle. Having it done by someone else will typically cost some money which adds to the uncertainty factor for some.
Alternatives to this are available and making them known is all a part of the communication of this community. One of them is the F40 transmission and the factors that go with it being an option - it's new, easy to work on, handles more power and has better gearing (4th thru 6th). Yes, it costs more to use, the frame mod from DF is not worth the expense to some and is acceptable to others, but there is little difference in the purchase price of the transmissions (@$800 with no LSD).
The F40 typically does not come with a LSD installed, but installing one is far easier on it than the other transmissions - check out the youtube videos - which could be done by anyone with simple hand tools; no drilling holes or pounding out parts required.
In the long run it comes down to personal choice and what the builder/owner wants their Goblin to be. :D

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
Wait until you see the total cost ;)
Ill deal with the extra cost of the f40 swap and adding an LSD vs being locked out of 2nd gear constantly on my f35. The f35 shifts beautifully if youre simply shifting, but locks me out under a hard shift going from 1st to 2nd.

George

Goblin Guru
I had that problem. Changed clutch disc to a 6 puck unit with kevlar friction material. And no center springs. The lite weight disc allows 8000rpm shift no blockage

Brad

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
I had that problem. Changed clutch disc to a 6 puck unit with kevlar friction material. And no center springs. The lite weight disc allows 8000rpm shift no blockage

Brad
Thank you. Ill take all of the knowledge I can handle. Which brand? Without center springs, is than more of an on/off engagement?

George

Goblin Guru
The brand is ACT. It does require a little skill for slow take off. As I had said the metal friction material was removed and Kevlar was used.
Brad

Ross

Goblin Guru
I had that 2nd gear issue with my F35 too. After chatting with Justin Reed, I learned the I had worn synchros in my F35, that wouldn't allow fast shifting into 2nd at high RPM. I replaced my F35 with a new one, Justin put an F23 in his. Problem fixed.