LSJ-T Feedback on Build

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The HE mounted up front? That's a long ways to travel for an oil loop. A concern would be the drop in oil pressure through the whole trip before it gets back to the engine. Maybe check the pressure before the loop and after to see how much it drops? You might have to bump the oil pressure (pressure relief valve next to the water pump) up a bit by shimming the spring. I will be doing this for my external oil filter and oil accumulator setup.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Oil is designed to work at temperature. Aren't you worried that you will make the oil too cool, and it will lubricate like a cold start? The stock cooler will try to get the oil at the same temperature as the coolant water, which has a thermostat to regulate the temperature.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I have an oil temp gauge in the drAin plug and it rarely gets above about 150 degrees. I don’t know how that correlates to temps at other locations.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Oil is designed to work at temperature. Aren't you worried that you will make the oil too cool, and it will lubricate like a cold start? The stock cooler will try to get the oil at the same temperature as the coolant water, which has a thermostat to regulate the temperature.
I was thinking of running an oil thermostat so it only allows the oil to flow through the cooler after it gets to a certain temperature

GoblinGuyZ

I am planning on re-utilizing the DF Goblin Intercooler Heat Exchanger for an Oil Cooler with the ZZP Oil Cooler Plate. It is my understanding the oil pressure pushes the oil through the heat exchanger and I will be re-using the fan to blow air through the exchanger fins. Any concerns with this setup and reusing the DF coolant heat exchanger for oil?
Really the cooler they are using is usually used otherwise as an oil cooler so once the lines are rated to over 200psi and as Fozda said nothing plastic in the system you should be fine. If it were me I would consider changing to -10 Nylon or Kevlar braided line instead of the plain rubber.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
Really the cooler they are using is usually used otherwise as an oil cooler so once the lines are rated to over 200psi and as Fozda said nothing plastic in the system you should be fine. If it were me I would consider changing to -10 Nylon or Kevlar braided line instead of the plain rubber.
I purchased -10AN Kevlar lines and the correct fittings so should be good to go thanks for feedback.

GoblinGuyZ

Why Air to Air on the intercooler? And not the big brother to the one that is used on the SSTC cars?
Air2Water
Air to air is lighter, less complicated, requires a lot less space usually, no need for pump, water cooler, lines etc and although a water cooled intercooler can supply better cooling for short periods than air to air, generally the air coolers are more effective under continuous driving. The main reason the LSJ isn’t air cooled is because there is no real opportunity to divert air in that manner and superchargers generally are all about instant response and running extra plumbing before the air is used reduces that effect.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
I have updated the build sheet to include all parts I have purchased and labor cost for welding if anyone is interested moving towards the LSJ-T build in the future. I am at the stage of tuning right now and expect it to be a while before I can share a final tune file. I will be moving away from e85 and going with 93 with a goal of 400hp. I will share final photos shortly.

Side note a lot of parts are from Amazon and I support small business the best I can but I had one of the worst experiences with OTTP I am currently disputing.

Long story short I requested cancellation due to back order of Tial Wastegate. 10 minutes later OTTP partially shipped the few items and I paid return shipping they charged 25% restock fee and a 4% fee on the Tial Wastegate part of the order that was never shipped. I was charged about $150 in fees including shipping.

I appreciate some of the DF Community members warning of OTTP but I thought it would be important to explain direct what results I experienced and let community decide if this is the route they want to take in the future.

Unfortuntely to keep the costs down and more importantly the frustration of Paypal disputes I purchased remaining items off Amazon.

An example of an awesome Small Business is Doyle Fab I would buy just about anything from these guys.

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
OTTP has been an awful business to deal with. They do not describe some items truthfully and conveniently forget to provide other information to help one decide if the parts you are ordering are what you need and if they will fit correctly. Then when you attempt to return them - and if they will actually accept them back - you get hit with lots of fees and excuses. BTW, anyone with the F40 - DO NOT ORDER THEIR 'SHORT' DRIVERS SIDE AXLE, IT IS NOT SHORTER AND WILL NOT WORK WITH A GOBLIN.

devianteng

Man, I've never had a bad time with OTTP...at least not yet. Saddens me to see these kinds of stories about them, because I generally like their products better than ZZP.

@ncgoblin What made you decide the 252 over the 257? I'm still finishing my build to get it on the street, but I'm planning a 257 build for next winter. My goal is also 400hp on 93.

West Wyo

Or you could just read this that Ross posted which does a much better job at explaining than I did
latest engine masters.....tested air to air and co2 forced through to "cool" the intercooler.....not same as water cooled....who knows?....but the gains were insignificant with the more complicated set up
as long as there is good amount of air going through the air to air it will deliver the goods

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
A2A intercoolers are most efficient when mounted at the front of the vehicle, typically in front of the radiator, where 'clean' and coolest air can flow thru the intercooler. This is the generality of the engine masters discussion, being based on a front engine platform. A front mounting is not practical on the Goblin, as a front mounting is obviously prohibitive, leaving an A2A mounting somewhere near the engine. From all reports and chaotic airflow, only disturbed and warmer air is found above and behind the engine, making it less efficient (requiring a larger size to equal a front mounted location). This is the reason DF decided to utilize an A2W intercooler, which is more efficient in the Goblin installation - as defined by @Ross description cited above. Sizing of a A2W intercooler can be matched to the HP requirement and heat exchanger size and mounting location is much more adaptable to the Goblin.

Last edited:

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
Man, I've never had a bad time with OTTP...at least not yet. Saddens me to see these kinds of stories about them, because I generally like their products better than ZZP.

@ncgoblin What made you decide the 252 over the 257? I'm still finishing my build to get it on the street, but I'm planning a 257 build for next winter. My goal is also 400hp on 93.
I went with the S252 as I do not plan to go beyond 400hp and primarily auto-x but either one is a great decision IMO.