LT Steering Rack or SS Steering Rack

KingChuck24

So a little while back we had to purchase a new subframe because ours was too rusted. A local guy was stripping out an SS one and gave us the subframe for pretty cheap but it also came with the steering rack and the sway bar. Currently in the car is the LT steering rack and I was just wondering which one was better. I know that the SS rack has a lower steering ratio meaning it feels a bit more firm and sporty but is there a huge difference?

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Not sure on which would be better, but the ratios are different (advantage ss) and I think there is a difference in how far they turn. I remember something like the base model may need steering stops so you don’t go too far and have the wheel hit the control arm. I can’t remember exactly.

Overall you can’t go wrong with either. I would choose the one in better shape (check for play) or the ss, because ss :D

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
I installed a non SS rack in mine after my wreck, since finding an SS version was somewhat difficult.

I'm pretty certain the ratios are different, though.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
The SS rack is fewer turns lock to lock, but I believe rack travel is the same. I'm unable to personally confirm, but it doesn't make sense to me for GM to have made the lower trim levels have a tighter turning circle than the highest trim level. That said, if the same linear travel lock to lock is accomplished in fewer turns, then the of the SS rack is faster.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
To get the 'quicker ratio' (stock Cobalt) the steering arm on the hub upright is shorter, causes more degrees of turning angle per linear input from the steering rack - thus needs less rack travel. :cool:

Last edited: