Metal Mech's Goblin #397 - 2.4L N/A Standard Frame (Project Phoenix)

Metal Mech

money saving tip:

poke a hole in cap of an oil oil jug and run a hose from there to the bleeder screws on the calipers. Open caliper bleeder valve and pump the brake pedal. The fluid will go into the can without a mess.

something like this
View attachment 39794
I actually have a bleeder kit without pump, but I always used it when I had a second person to help me. I figured I would get the kit so I could handle it solo. Worst case I may see if I can give this a try. I guess thinking about it now, I'm not trying to bleed the brakes and get air out I am just trying to empty the line.
I'm hoping I can actually open my bleeder screws. The from rotors are really rusty.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I actually have a bleeder kit without pump, but I always used it when I had a second person to help me. I figured I would get the kit so I could handle it solo. Worst case I may see if I can give this a try. I guess thinking about it now, I'm not trying to bleed the brakes and get air out I am just trying to empty the line.
I'm hoping I can actually open my bleeder screws. The from rotors are really rusty.
Yep. Just trying to empty the system to keep from making a mess.

Since you have a lot of rust, I would be hitting every nut and bolt with penetrant before I close up for the night, every night.

Metal Mech

Yep. Just trying to empty the system to keep from making a mess.

Since you have a lot of rust, I would be hitting every nut and bolt with penetrant before I close up for the night, every night.
Thanks for saying that. Was so tired after yesterday and today being stressful at work spraying down the penetrant has totally escaped my mind.
if I do nothing else today I will do that

Metal Mech

ESPECIALLY THAT PESKY STEERING SHAFT BOLT!!
Have you tried removing yours yet? After reading about every one having problems with cars less rusty then mine I am not looking forward to it. I am already planning to get this one off and just replace with new. Pretty sure its shot.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Propane torch is your best friend to help get that bolt out. After that, lots of PB Blaster in the shaft to help loosen - unless you are opting for a replacement shaft, which is not too many $$$s.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
ESPECIALLY THAT PESKY STEERING SHAFT BOLT!!
With everything else rusted like it is, I’d put money on that shaft being frozen in place. :confused: So I wouldn’t worry too much on saving the steering shaft. Hopefully the bolt comes out and separates from the rack, but if not I’d cut the shaft off.

Metal Mech

With everything else rusted like it is, I’d put money on that shaft being frozen in place. :confused: So I wouldn’t worry too much on saving the steering shaft. Hopefully the bolt comes out and separates from the rack, but if not I’d cut the shaft off.
I sprayed the the junk out of it tonight along with sub frame bolts and other suspension bolts.
oddly enough as rusty as my calipers were thru came apart easy. Looking at the pads I would say they were changed recently.

Metal Mech

Ok guys been a productive last few days especially today.
got everything wiring harness related pulled from the truck to where the carpet starts.
Pulled the front suspension. The sub frame is ready to come off but that pesky steering column is still holding on. The bolt came out no problem but haven’t gotten the shaft to let loose.
Had to close it up for today because nasty storms are about to start.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
The sub frame is ready to come off but that pesky steering column is still holding on. The bolt came out no problem but haven’t gotten the shaft to let loose.
I wouldn't mess with it - just cut it.

Many of us were able to get the shaft off just fine and still had to replace it because it wouldn't collapse or was just a mess. Some have had success reviving them, but for $45 and the fact it's your steering we're talking about, it's just not worth it IMHO.

Metal Mech

Many of us were able to get the shaft off just fine and still had to replace it because it wouldn't collapse or was just a mess. Some have had success reviving them, but for $45 and the fact it's your steering we're talking about, it's just not worth it IMHO.
I can try cutting but getting to it isn’t that easy.

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
hammer a chisel into the split on the steering shaft to open it up a little and it should come off pretty easy.

Fenix Nexen

is it an issue if it wont collapse?

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Yes. The distance from the steering column to steering rack is much shorter on the goblin than it is on the cobalt. It has to collapse and it needs to do be somewhat free or you’ll fight it on install.

Metal Mech

Well I got the interior stripped down to the point it’s time for the dash to come out.

Still no luck on the steering shaft. Comegetjoe came over with a pry bar and we messed with it for a few mins. We determined the next step is cutting it so I may give that a try tomorrow.

Right now my garage is an absolute mess. So probably need to work on cleaning that up this week.

Really hoping I get my frame back before or on the 4th/5th of May. Got a four day weekend that would be awesome to have the frame for.

Overall a very productive weekend.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I tell ya. I give y’all props for building these in your garage. I have a big shop and it was nice with all the space. I put off this project off for a few years because at my old house, there was just no room in a 2 car garage filled with motorcycles and 4 wheelers.

Metal Mech

I tell ya. I give y’all props for building these in your garage. I have a big shop and it was nice with all the space. I put off this project off for a few years because at my old house, there was just no room in a 2 car garage filled with motorcycles and 4 wheelers.
It’s been a journey. My garage has been my storage shed for years. I finally got a separate storage shed and started organizing the garage into a workable garage/shop space. None of my daily cars will fit inside so it’s perfect for working on and storing the Goblin.
Still needs a bit of work to get it where I want. That’s on me though. I been so excited to start on the Goblin I been putting off garage and shed organization haha.