Mikes Extended, Full Frame Goblin - 2009 Cobalt LS with 135k donor

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
I got the new pulley from @Robinjo. Pulled it off the hub and was wondering if the hub currently installed on my Supercharger has the same diameter. I can't measure the diameter with the current pulley installed. Does anyone know if they are the same?

20240221_055859.jpg

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
Question to all SS SC guys, how large is your intercooler, active or passive cooled and in the front or back?

I am using a motorcycle radiator and have 2x12V fans blowing on it. Mounted above the gas tank between the seats.

I think I could use a larger radiator.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
You could probably use cooler air. We are talking about fairly low temperatures and the warmer air around the motor may mean that the temperature difference isn’t enough no matter how big the heat exchanger is.

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
This is my current set up. I don't think the air is terrible warm. The fans blow from the front to the back.

I have somewhere an IR picture of the radiator and I was wondering that I can't see a temperature difference between inlet and outlet.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Just remember that you aren’t dealing with 200 degree water like the engine coolant. I would guess typically less than 130 degrees.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I do keep forgetting that you are sc. So you will have higher temperatures when things are heat soaked after sitting hot. How quickly does your iat come back down after you start up again?

Ross

Goblin Guru
Just run it, you aren't going to hurt the engine. A good number of SC Cobalts are running without a working coolant pump in the intercooler system, and the PCM protects the engine by reducing the power. After a hard run in the goblin, touch the heat exchanger and see if it is getting hot. I can only get mine warm, and that is at race track. If you are running a turbo or a 2.6" pulley on your SC, you may find that the intercooler needs help, but the stock SC isn't that big of a heat generator.

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
Just run it, you aren't going to hurt the engine. A good number of SC Cobalts are running without a working coolant pump in the intercooler system, and the PCM protects the engine by reducing the power. After a hard run in the goblin, touch the heat exchanger and see if it is getting hot. I can only get mine warm, and that is at race track. If you are running a turbo or a 2.6" pulley on your SC, you may find that the intercooler needs help, but the stock SC isn't that big of a heat generator.
Yeah, that's right. But I want to make it as easy as possible for the engine and get prepared for making more HP. The heat exchanger currently gets only hand warm. Nothing to crazy. I think I measured around 100F.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I have radiators everywhere on my bench to be tied in for better cooling. Dirt bike ones are usually split so you can put a bunch of small ones in different places. Also have the zzp add on cobalt intercooler that I’ll adapt sooner or later

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
@Gtstorey not quite sure what you mean. But I made some runs and monitored the IAT, IAT 2 and set up a user parameter IAT2/IAT.

View attachment 45604

View attachment 45605

View attachment 45606
Not sure about what part?

A larger radiator isn’t going to make a big difference in temperature. If you are. Trying to cool 100 degree radiator with 85-90 (or hotter during summer) air, you aren’t going to be able to drop the water temperature much without a major increase in radiator and airflow.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Look up supercharger heat soak. Basically the hottest water you will see is after the car is turned off on hot engine on a hot day. The non circulating water setting on top of the engine will approach the actual engine temperature.

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
My intercooler pump and the fans are currently run by a simple switch, that allows me to run it even if the engine is off and pull out heat from the system.

But, I can test it and switch it off with the engine. Do you have any guidance what temperature drop is good or bad and in what time frame?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
My intercooler pump and the fans are currently run by a simple switch, that allows me to run it even if the engine is off and pull out heat from the system.

But, I can test it and switch it off with the engine. Do you have any guidance what temperature drop is good or bad and in what time frame?
No. You just typically want to stay out of boost until it comes back down to “normal”

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
A trick to increase radiator/heat exchanger efficiency is a water mist sprayed onto the coils/tubes. Liquid is able to pull heat quicker from a metal surface than air. Plus the water has an evaporative effect that creates more cooling and can even pull temperature lower than ambient when the air very dry (like out here in the deser). But for this to work there must be constant airflow, otherwise the mist will over collect and 'puddle' reducing the evaporation effect. A puller fan is a bandaid for the constant airflow, but having the heat exchanger in the air stream is a better solution. Just something to think about. :D

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
A trick to increase radiator/heat exchanger efficiency is a water mist sprayed onto the coils/tubes. Liquid is able to pull heat quicker from a metal surface than air. Plus the water has an evaporative effect that creates more cooling and can even pull temperature lower than ambient when the air very dry (like out here in the deser).
Even faster is nitrous oxide across the heat exchanger or intercooler.