Minor body modifications

Sebnuts

Any body remember the Local Motors SF-01?

I thought it looked pretty cool, and wondered what it might look like on a goblin chassis?
I did a shite botch job on the surface model to rearrange things and get an idea:

The way the hood comes down to a snout on the stock goblin could work here, kind of Bugatti like?

KSLunsfo

Never heard of that before now... kinda cool looking. I'm curious where you came across the models for it, and the Goblin frame for that matter...

Sebnuts

Never heard of that before now... kinda cool looking. I'm curious where you came across the models for it, and the Goblin frame for that matter...
The Local Motors project was "Open Source" at the time, they had the models available in Onshape. I downloaded them when the project was active, I'm not sure if you can find them online anymore.

I 3D scanned my Goblin frame.

Davidljones88

The Local Motors project was "Open Source" at the time, they had the models available in Onshape. I downloaded them when the project was active, I'm not sure if you can find them online anymore.

I 3D scanned my Goblin frame.
What scanner did you use? I have a creality scanner. I've been wanting a 3D model that I use to 3D print a model.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Love what you do with scanning and CAD. Just curious, are you planning on hinging the hood? Do you plan to seal the footwell cover to the dash portion of the hood? And/or seal it to the front window? Is your front splitter mounted to the frame or the hood? Looks like you are making your own window frame, at a steeper angle. Nice!

Sebnuts

Just curious, are you planning on hinging the hood?
I don't have any of the details on that yet, but yes, I want to have it hinged for easy, tool free access to the battery.
Do you plan to seal the footwell cover to the dash portion of the hood? And/or seal it to the front window?
Currently planning on sealing the bottom of the window frame to the top footwell cover. My thought was to completely split the hood, and the rear piece behind the window would become the "dash" and be rigidly mounted.
Is your front splitter mounted to the frame or the hood?
It will most likely be mounted to the frame - more details I haven't worked through yet.

The frame is sitting at 45° in these images. I wanted to go steeper, but the "dash" starts to get too big, and the rest of the hood too short, throwing off the proportions and making it look off.

Last edited:

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Off-topic, but I'm getting the urge to build a FFR roadster using a wrecked Mustang as the donor.

...my wife made a face remarkably similar to this one, when I mentioned it:

I've seen that face, it was 20 years ago and I still have nightmares.

Ross

Goblin Guru
The frame is sitting at 45° in these images. I wanted to go steeper, but the "dash" starts to get too big, and the rest of the hood too short, throwing off the proportions and making it look off.
I agree. Also be sure the dash is non reflective, as my attempt vividly reflected the wrap on the dash. The window also held in the heat, which is nice in the winter, but fresh air is nicer in the summer. I want to add a Desert Sasquash fresh air vent to help remove cabin heat.

Last edited:

RickS

Yes... 3D printed goblin so those of us that are poor can still say we own a goblin until we have the $ to build a real one...

Asking for a friend of course...

Sebnuts

3D printing a hood and chassis at ~1/10th scale and slapping it on an RC car chassis would probably be pretty easy. Doing an accurate model of the whole thing would be a huge undertaking.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
3D printing a hood and chassis at ~1/10th scale and slapping it on an RC car chassis would probably be pretty easy. Doing an accurate model of the whole thing would be a huge undertaking.
For real... I've been toying around with it in Blender on and off for quite a while now. Now that its winter I'm making some actual progress though lol.