Mounting of Safety Harnesses

PaulPerger

Can someone post photos of how safety harnesses are being mounted?

I have seen many photos of cars with safety harnesses, but I have never seen how they are being mounted. I am curious because everything I see and read about harnesses says that ideally they should be mounted horizontal to the should harness pass throughs on the seats, but at most they should be mounted with a 45 degree angle for safety reasons. I am not seeing a place on the Goblin where that can be accomplished.

I am seriously considering adding a curved harness bar to the frame. Since I haven't seen one in person yet, my only concern is that there might be something in the engine area that might interfere with doing so.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Did you powder coat your frame yet? If not, you should definitely weld a bar in higher up for the harnesses. The harness attachment point is far too low making it quite unsafe. One of my plans for this winter is to grind the power coat off that area and weld in a bar and hopefully match the paint close enough to not irritate me! Lol

PaulPerger

Did you powder coat your frame yet? If not, you should definitely weld a bar in higher up for the harnesses. The harness attachment point is far too low making it quite unsafe. One of my plans for this winter is to grind the power coat off that area and weld in a bar and hopefully match the paint close enough to not irritate me! Lol
That is what I thought based on photos I've seen. My chassis is number 317, I won't have until summer 2021, and yes I will be mounting my seats, and putting a dedicated harness bar about two inches higher than my shoulder harness pass through on my seats.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Good! My biggest regret of my build is not mocking everything up first to make sure there isn't something I'd like to change. I was so focused on getting it finished that I pushed it from receiving the kit to having it built in about 9 days.

PaulPerger

There are a few things I intend to do to the frame before sending it to powder coat. I can powder coat anything smaller than 24x24, so the frame and the sub-frame will go out for coating.

I plan to add a tow hitch to the sub-frame and the harness bar to the frame already. There may be more by the time I get it... We'll see.

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
This is how I did my seat belts. I consider this temporary. I am going to make a bar that attaches to the roll bar at the two points where the holes are already in place for the stock (donor) seat belts. That should place it at the right height.

Attachments

PaulPerger

This is how I did my seat belts. I consider this temporary. I am going to make a bar that attaches to the roll bar at the two points where the holes are already in place for the stock (donor) seat belts. That should place it at the right height.
This is how I thought they would have to mount without modification. While this is probably fine for street use I wouldn't take it to a track like that. The right (or wrong) impact could break your back, especially if you have reclining seats.

Thanks for the photos. They confirmed my thoughts and now I know I need to make a harness bar.

Tinkles

Among the things I had modified on my chassis was adding a harness bar. I forget the exact height it is at, but if you mock up your seats 1st you'll be able to see where it needs to be.

PaulPerger

Among the things I had modified on my chassis was adding a harness bar. I forget the exact height it is at, but if you mock up your seats 1st you'll be able to see where it needs to be.

View attachment 19534
Saving this picture as reference... This is exactly how I want to do mine. Thank You Tinkles!

PS - Are you adding side mounted Intercoolers or Oil Coolers?