need a little advice from the crowd

apchar

I'm gonna build a Goblin. And the more I build the better. I'm a rank beginner with cars but for me, an engineer & habitual tinkerer, the build is the best part of anything. That and all the tuning that comes later. I want the power of the TC. But a wrecked TC is about as easy to find as a square balloon. Should I buy an LS (or LT) and add an aftermarket turbocharger later or just keep hunting for a dead but recoverable TC? If I do start with a base model, is there any particular year or trim that's well (or ill)-suited to tuning?
What are some common aftermarket additions for goblin owners?
Thanks.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
As a fellow engineer and novice car guru, I will tell you that so far I can confidently tell you "you can do it!".

I assume you are familiar with ZZP and what they offer for turbo upgrades?

There are some square balloons out there. Waiting and getting a turbo may save you a lot of other work later upgrading a base model.
But, you can run through the build videos and stay straight and narrow with the Goblin, or you can customize just about any part of the build. Just depends how much you are willing to take on time-wise as well as money-wise.

Maybe some of the Goblin Gurus will be able to point to some specific build logs who did the turbo upgrade to help you.

Wish you the best!

Jcas

Well like you I was watching for a ss/sc but the only one I found that would not have priced me out of house and home was already stripped so I ran across a LS with only 79000 on it so pulled the trigger decided to build it as an LS once together in the goblin then I will peace together my supercharger and add it along with a HP Tuner and I will still get what I wanted in the end

Anks329

Well like you I was watching for a ss/sc but the only one I found that would not have priced me out of house and home was already stripped so I ran across a LS with only 79000 on it so pulled the trigger decided to build it as an LS once together in the goblin then I will peace together my supercharger and add it along with a HP Tuner and I will still get what I wanted in the end
This is my plan as well. There were no reasonably prices TC in my area at all. So, I've got an LS for dirt cheap, and then will add the ZZP supercharger or turbo kit to it next year (will need to save up for the upgrade budget :) )

Jcas

This is my plan as well. There were no reasonably prices TC in my area at all. So, I've got an LS for dirt cheap, and then will add the ZZP supercharger or turbo kit to it next year (will need to save up for the upgrade budget :) )
My plan as well in Hope's to do supercharger in august. Mostly because I love the sound of em. After riding in waterdrivers and it is just inches behind you. It was really a rush and the go .... oh my.....

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
This was my plan as well I ended up with a donor that was $500. I was going to go turbo untill a supercharger fell into my lap for.

gofast

I looked for several months for a SS/TC with no luck and was discouraged. Then I found two on the Cobalt chat group and had to make a choice. One had front end damage, but still ran, $2500. The other had a blown engine, but included three extra transmissions, two of which were LSD. I bought that one for $1800 and bought a complete crate engine from ATK for $2,000 delivered. I'm going to have Performance Autowerks rework one of the LSD transmissions. My donor has a new heavy duty clutch, so I'm going to basically have a new engine, new clutch and new transmission for what I believe is a reasonable cost. If you want a SS/TC, keep looking and be patient. The uncertainty is tough, but when you finally find and get what you want, the wait is worth it.

Dsteinhorst

I got a base donor, partially to save money, but mostly because a base Goblin is already quite a bit faster than my Focus ST.

If your Goblin is for road use and the occasional autocross or track day, you may not miss the extra power. If you're looking for a race car, you'd regret foregoing the faster donor.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Since you enjoy tinkering and tuning, then it doesn't matter much what you start with... they all can be built into monsters that are fun to drive.
I too enjoy the tinkering and tuning.

Jcas

Since you enjoy tinkering and tuning, then it doesn't matter much what you start with... they all can be built into monsters that are fun to drive.
I too enjoy the tinkering and tuning.
It is fun to start with lesser horses then golden screw driver things and then you get to know your beast as it grows.

Last edited:

apchar

Lets say I start with a base model with plans to boost later. That means a 2.2 or 2.4 L engine. The TC was 2.0 L. Will a 2.4 L engine with an aftermarket turbo fit? I like to tinker but I dont want to take a hacksaw to the frame. DF sells a "turbo kit" for the TC. Is that something I can buy later or is the whole kit different?

Ross

Goblin Guru
The 2.4L engine isn't that easy to find in the scrap cars from what I have heard. Wikipedia has a good write up on the 'Chevy Cobalt" and its various engines. I doubt you will have to hack the frame to add a turbo. Only if you are changing the transmission.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
2.0, 2.2 , and 2.4 are all the exact same footprint. So no frame hacking will be needed. The biggest hurdle you will have when adding a turbo is where to and what type of cooler to mount.

apchar

Looking at the order page, it lists the stuff you get for each trim. Comparing manual base & manual turbocharged:

Manual Base/Sport + $250: Adds manual shifter linkages, custom shifter cables, clutch line, other manual shifter hardware.

Manual SS Turbocharged +$2000 :Adds manual shifter linkages, custom shifter cables, clutch line, other manual shifter hardware, upgraded 3 inch turbo exhaust, heat exchanger, heat exchanger plumbing, air to water intercooler with plumbing, charge pipes with silicone elbows, turbo specific fuel tank, rear brake calipers and rotors.

What's different about a turbo specific fuel tank? What's different about the calipers & rotors? Are the other items standard with an aftermarket turbo kit? I'm trying to decide if I should order the turbo upgrade even though it may be months before I add the turbo. And since it wont be a factory turbo, will the stuff DF sells even work with it?

RouteAbel

My guess on the fuel tank is to allow more clearance on the intake side.

The difference in caliper/rotors is that the Turbo Cobalt Brembo caliper/rotors are too big to be re-used so DF provides these in the Turbo kit where N/A donors can be reused.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
My guess on the fuel tank is to allow more clearance on the intake side.

The difference in caliper/rotors is that the Turbo Cobalt Brembo caliper/rotors are too big to be re-used so DF provides these in the Turbo kit where N/A donors can be reused.
Yes, but the there is also a protrusion on the NA caliper brackets will interfere with--I think--the knuckle The brackets that DF provide have this shaved down so they will bolt up properly.

duanew1

I have been thinking about the options as well. I was thinking that I would start with a 2.4 manual as well and add a turbo or a surpercharger kit from ZZP. One problem I think is not having the chance to get a LSD transmission fom the donor. The ECU would have to be reprogrammed as well. The cost might not be that different depending on the cost of the donor and reduced price of the regular Goblin kit. I am not sure what else I am missing.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
APCHAR,
Welcome to the Forum. See you are in Tucson, I am in Phoenix (west valley).
Let me provide some answers to your questions from post #16.
The SS/TC Cobalt has the FE5 suspension package which has larger ball joints on the aluminum front control arms, the front hub uprights have corresponding larger mounting holes to bolt to the ball joints, the axles are larger diameter, the front brakes (rotors, calipers) are larger and may be Brembos, the fuel pump (in the stock tank) is different in size with no return line, the ECM is different, some parts of the wiring harnesses are different, plus several other ancillary items that are specific to the TC.
The fuel tank from DF is specific to the turbo fuel pump, plus (as RouteAbel stated) the fuel tank is notched to allow more room for turbo plumbing. The rest of the package from DF is the items needed to install the manual transmission and the air-to-water intercooler and heat exchanger system for the turbo. This assuming your donor is a SS/TC.
Using a NA on the DF turbo option kit and then upgrading to a turbo should be discussed with Adam and Lonny, they are very easy to discuss things like this and are very accommodating to special orders.