Need help w/ GMC Door Lock Issue

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
I've been looking all over the net and haven't found a good answer yet and since I've seen some very complex issues solved on this forum, I'm hoping you guys can give me direction.

2017 GMC Canyon SLE 4WD w/ 2.8 Duramax. 140,000 miles

Power door locks have randomly unlocked the driver's door while driving and recently while parked with the doors locked and keys on the dresser. This morning, hitting the unlock button on the fob would unlock the driver door which would immediately relock itself.

Possible causes cited have ranged from weak battery in the transmitter (checked good, replaced anyway, no help), to bad driver door switch grounding out, to back module.

Anyone have insight how to troubleshoot this issue w/o throwing money at it an hoping for a solution?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Camaros have been reported with these types of problems due to problems with corrosion in the wire harness connector at the door, but I wouldn't expect that problem in 5 years. My 2010 will occasionally lock itself, but it does it so rarely, I haven't ever tried to fix it.

There are "control modules" inside of the door that control some of these functions, but I don't know about the locks on your particular model. it could be failing if it has one. You probably need a real good, high function scan tool or maybe the tech2 clone if it will work on the '17 models to diagnose.

RITDR

If you suspect the key fob(s) could be the issue, pull the battery and see if there is any strange activity with the locks. That would remove the remote as a potential issue.

Also, the battery is the remote could be ok, but if there is any corrosion in the fob that can cause issues as well.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
As noted, yesterday the locks were especially bad. I had already tried new battery in the fob, but a colleague (an aircraft mechanic) made a similar suggestion as RITDR. I removed the battery from the fob and started using the other fob. So far, no issues.