No Power on Key Turn (First Start)

Antcy18

I'm trying to get the dash lights on and the throttle butterfly to respond, but when I turn the key I'm getting nothing. I have 1.4 volts to the red/white power wire on the green ignition connector. For some reason it's not grounded so I bypassed it with the separate ground wire just to test, it's grounded but still nothing. When I apply a separate 12 volt power supply to the red/white pin I get the lights on and the throttle butterfly to move. Any thoughts on the issue?

Ross

Goblin Guru
Is your donor car the same as mine? The wiring diagrams are different between models. There is a link in my signature that can guide you to set up your own signature, so we don't have to keep asking this question.

I would start with the ground issue. Clean all the ground terminals, and make sure they are tight. Verify with a meter.

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
I'm trying to get the dash lights on and the throttle butterfly to respond, but when I turn the key I'm getting nothing. I have 1.4 volts to the red/white power wire on the green ignition connector. For some reason it's not grounded so I bypassed it with the separate ground wire just to test, it's grounded but still nothing. When I apply a separate 12 volt power supply to the red/white pin I get the lights on and the throttle butterfly to move. Any thoughts on the issue?
Mine was the battery ground

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
He needs to trace the red/white wire back to the source. That is an ignition powered wire if I’m not mistaken. It should have 12v on it most of the time. I don’t have access to the wiring diagram at the moment in order to help.

Antcy18

I have no power to my post on the engine fuse box? The red and gray thick wire is showing 12volts coming out of the red connector in the dash fuse box, but there is no power to it when it enters the engine fuse box. Thoughts?

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
I have no power to my post on the engine fuse box? The red and gray thick wire is showing 12volts coming out of the red connector in the dash fuse box, but there is no power to it when it enters the engine fuse box. Thoughts?
Is your post wire connected to the starter?

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
What post are you saying has no power? can you send an image?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I figured it out, I did not have a wire running from my starter to my positive post. Thanks everyone, first start felt GREAT! Now my starter is shot, but it still had one good one left in it!
Most of them are hanging in by a thread by the time we get to them. Ours looked like junk and the terminals broke off. I’ve also had to replace one on a Cobalt that would intermittently start.