No spark after engine out.

Running into a weird issue. I labeled every connector before disconnecting everything, so I’m confident it’s not a connector mismatch issue.

So right now my engine turns, and has fuel. All my fuses are good, and, I’ve triple checked my ground lugs. All of my lights work.

My BlueDriver is giving me all of these errors all of a sudden. I can’t seem to find out what’s causing this or if it’s related to not having spark. Any ideas?

The codes that only state “history” are non active codes.
E8641726-72DB-4E34-A59B-1712DFA499DA.png

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
According to your vin, we are working with a 05 LSJ?
is this first start?
did it run before?

Ross

Goblin Guru
History: your car wasn't communicating on the GM high speed LAN.
ABS has been removed, so it won't be communicating.
SDM has been removed, so it won't be communicating.
B1380 seems like a big clue. Accessory circuit short? The key circuit is shown in the first image here.

AllDataDIY Login
After you log into AllDataDIY, you can find more info here.
DTC B0158

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The body control module (BCM) monitors the outside air temperature sensor to display outside air temperature. The temperature sensor is a 2-wire negative temperature co-efficient thermistor. The BCM applies 5 volts to an internal input resistor that is connected to the signal circuits of the Outside air temperature sensor. The BCM provides the ground to the outside air temperature sensor through the low reference circuit. The BCM monitors the voltage drop across the Outside air temperature sensor and uses the input for automatic control calculations. When the outside air temperatures are cold, the resistance of the sensors are high and the voltage signals are high. When the air temperatures are hot, the resistance of the sensors are low and the voltage signals are low. The BCM converts the voltage value to a temperature value of Celsius and Fahrenheit to be displayed by the driver information center (DIC).

DTC B1380

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION

The body control module (BCM) monitors the ACCESSORY signal from the ignition switch. When the vehicle operator places the ignition switch in the Accessory or Run position, the switch supplies B+ to the BCM ACCESSORY input terminal. If this circuit becomes shorted to B+, ground or the circuit opens, DTC B1380 will set.

DTC U2172

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION

Modules connected to the GMLAN serial data circuits monitor for serial data communications, during normal vehicle operation. Operating information and commands are exchanged among the modules. The modules have programmed information about what messages are needed to be exchanged on the serial data circuits, for each virtual network. The messages are also supervised and some periodic messages are used by the receiver module as an availability indication of the transmitter module. The supervision time-out period is 250 ms . Each message contains the identification number of the transmitter module. When a message that indicates the availability of the transmitter module is not received, the receiver module sets a DTC 21xx where xx is equal to the 2-digit identification number of the transmitter module.

The DTC descriptors listed below provide a method for determining which module is not communicating. A module with a GMLAN serial data circuit malfunction or which loses power during the current ignition cycle will have a Loss of Communication DTC set by other modules that depend on information from that failed module. The modules that can communicate will set a DTC indicating the module that cannot communicate.

Last edited:
So, I've been following the layout for the BCM C4 connector, and I've found that my D1 White/Red wire is supposed to connect into the ignition switch, but it does not. I've found the ignition switch red/white wire is actually not connected into anything. Its a hanging red wire. Doner car was not in the best of shape, so I'm not surprised.

So, my plan is to triple check each circuit from the C4 connector. Does AllData allow you to search for a specific circuit? The UI is a bit confusing.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Yes, AllDataDIY is all over the place. The search function often can find things that I can't. You also can post here, as sometimes other builders will remember seeing it, and might be able to find it.

The ignition key circuit is the first image here.
The BCM C4 connector, D1 wire is listed there, and 2 fuses need to be working for it to get 12V+.
The Run/Crank relay coil gets power from BCM2 40A fuse in the fusebox, then the IGN SW 2A fuse in the BCM
Then it should connect to the ignition switch.

It is probably faster to test the BCM C4 connector when it is installed in the car, and just probe the pins with an electrical meter.
All the pink wires are RUN/CRANK wires, so if they have 12V when the key is in RUN position, and have 0V when the key is off, I would say they are good and move on.

Red wires with a white stripe are all Battery Positive Voltage. So they should have 12V+ all the time.
Grey are all instrument panel lamp supply voltage. so 12V+ when the lights are on.
That is almost all the pins in the BCM C4.

I found that BCM C4 is part of the instrument panel harness. (I/P Harness)

A lot of red/white wires, 12V power distribution information is here. Just log into AllDataDIY, and follow the grey header.

The pink ignition wires are here

Last edited: