Not a Goblin, but my 09 Miata

Classy

I feel like the goblin community doesn’t care much for this, but yes, I dyno’d back in April at 280hp and 275tq. I have a bigger header on it now and E85 coming. And if that isn’t enough I bought a “damaged” supercharger that is the same as what I have to be sent off for rebuild and porting, I also have a 2.6 pulley to turn it up more if I feel like I need it.

Classy

Yesterday my diff broke I am assuming the spider gears or the quaife itself, but the right wheel was the only one putting power down and people working the course confirmed that I was only spinning the one wheel. It explains the weird handling issues I couldn’t figure out for the past 1-2 months. Time to swap the diff, axles and rear knuckles and hubs to RX8 parts, bigger and stronger, shorter gear ratios but I shouldn’t break it again

Attachments

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Broken Quaife?!? Ooh, not good if that happened. Check to see if the warranty is still valid, but they will ask if it installed by an SAE mechanic.

Classy

I don’t think the quaife is damaged, but I will find out when I pull I all apart. To be fair, the car stock is like 100 wheel torque and I am closer to triple that

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
I am in Galveston until Feb, 5. I would enjoy meeting up and swapping stories and seeing your Miata. I have most weekdays free and am recklessly throwing around Sonic single burgers as possible bribes. The weather has been pretty cooperative lately! Come on down! It's always better at the beach! text me at 678***464***3341

Classy

Annual update?

So, diff wasn’t broken, sway bar end link was…

2022 went very well for the rest of the season.

2023 was supposed to be a big year as I thought I had the car figured out… Well… March said no… I went to a practice day and spent a lot of time figuring out and testing the suspension. I REALLY dialed the car in and I was excited! The following day was the last autocross the car would do for 6 months, went really well. The following Friday driving home from work, pulling into my neighborhood not doing anything rough, I downshifted to second, released the clutch and the transmission start bucking and crunching…. I limped it the rest of the way home but the stock transmission had finally given up.

During this extended down time, I had a stage 3 5 speed transmission built, all the rear suspension bushings replaced with poly, completely upgraded the brake setup with MUCH larger RX8 sized front BBK, and swapped to RX8 rear brakes. New seats and some other stuff too.

With some motivation from a friend we swapped the transmission finally in July. I spent the next few weeks limping the car around while I worked out the brake system that was leaking everywhere.

I finally hashed out the brakes, got the car aligned, cleaned up and started driving it again.

I added a flex fuel kit (works amazing BTW) and got tuned for E85. I did one event in October to shake the car back down, and the car felt awful, I made a lot of changes and it seems some of the suspension changes were not the best, the tires we also dead.

I went through the car and found blown engine mounts too… about this time someone out of the blue made a real offer for my supercharger setup. I planned on running my car for 2024 at about 350 whp on E85 just optimizing the car and trying to go fast, buuuuuuuut…. So supercharger is gone, turbo kit ordered, of course I couldn’t just take an off the shelf kit, I had to make it different and special.

I have a turbo kit coming that will support 450ish whp.

While the car is down, I am making some changes I have been thinking about for a long time. First up, make a new axle back that tucks up to the car. I used a vibrant 3” muffler and made a quick and dirty axle back with a turn down. I cut the fiberglass so it would fit better.

Next, I made a template and had the sheet metal shop I work at cut and weld a diffuser. Is it fully functional, no, but it is a drag reduction device.

Then I started a fun project that I might try and start selling. I made wing end plates that have lights in them.

The car will have new numbers, class letters and a partial livery when all this is done. Goal is to have it all back together In January and ready to party by March.

If yall want me to keep this updated let me know and I will

Attachments

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Annual update?

If yall want me to keep this updated let me know and I will
Hey Classy. You are part of my Mid-engine Cibalt madness. I am back to Galveston KOA after New Years Day. If you get out to the island let me know. I’ll be in Galveston through March 3. Would be cool to meet and trade “bad ideas”!
If you know of any car shows we might meet at around Houston get me the info! Text me so I will answer your call. My number is in this thread before your update.

Classy

We shall see, like I said, I want to have the car ready to battle again by March but driving by late January.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
We shall see, like I said, I want to have the car ready to battle again by March but driving by late January.
I have free time during the week and would easily drive to North Houston to visit your garage and bullshirt or meet at shows. Always interested in projects. I’m in Fort Worth just now visiting a Goblin I helped with.