Quick question for the experienced about electrical

Dominicnicklyn

I have a 06 lsj for a donor car and before the striping process the car was having some weird electrical/starting problems. The ecm and fuse block housing was just floating around in the engine bay because there was no mount/support for it. When you turned the key into the on position the gauges would move but the only light that would light up on the dash was the anti theft, but it would turn off after 5 seconds like all of the other lights would normally. No click no crank when turned all the way. I did the relearn procedure and the other quick problem solvers.

It was a budys car and I've seen it run a while back.

I decided to strip the car down and check connections along the way. Nothing unusual or out of the ordinary. I fully stripped the harness and I'm about to combine them so I should be able to try to solve the issue soon if it wasnt corrected in the striping process.

Any ideas or similar experiences?

Ross

Goblin Guru
Is the anti theft light still on? That will prevent the engine from cranking. Any OBDII codes?

Iwanttogofast

Ross is extremely knowledgeable and a super dude. But, I don't believe this is correct. My donor ran before disassembly, but my theft light was always on and the horn would sound for several minutes each time I started it. I definitely had a theft light on / start condition.

Dominicnicklyn

Is the anti theft light still on? That will prevent the engine from cranking. Any OBDII codes?
Couldn't connect with the computer to pull codes. keep in mind that it was the only light that would come on and it turned off after a few seconds. Could this be caused by bad ecm or no connection to the ecm?

Ross

Goblin Guru
So data is not communicating on the OBDII port?
You have thinned out the wiring harness, and the new harness isn't working. Could be lots of things, but lets start with the basics.
Clean and tighten the ground posts. Loosen and re-torque the 7mm bolts in the fusebox and BCM.

John (Iwanttogofast): Interesting that your antitheft light was on, and the engine started. Now I understand why you call it a theft light.

Dominicnicklyn

So data is not communicating on the OBDII port?
You have thinned out the wiring harness, and the new harness isn't working. Could be lots of things, but lets start with the basics.
Clean and tighten the ground posts. Loosen and re-torque the 7mm bolts in the fusebox and BCM.

John (Iwanttogofast): Interesting that your antitheft light was on, and the engine started. Now I understand why you call it a theft light.
The car isnt together yet, still working on the harness. All of this was before the donor stripping process. I was just looking for any similar situations or past experiences/ideas. There is no way I can have a fix at the moment because of the car not together.