Rauq's Twincharged LSJ in SC - #240 - GOBZILA

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Not much progress to show right now. I've just been cleaning and painting stuff. Got the motor pretty well stripped down and cleaned and ready for painting today. Hopefully parts will start going on the frame within the next 2 weeks.

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
The more prep work you do the easier it will all go together. I had everything prepped and my car went together in less than 2 weeks working by myself. Your frame is looking good.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I could've done a better job prioritizing my painting. The pedal brackets have been painted for a few weeks now, but I've been holding off on install because I ended up painting other stuff when I had the weather instead of the brake booster. It's either been too cold to paint or raining here for most of the last month. I also have the motor pretty much painted up, but in keeping with the spirit I keep forgetting to paint the intercooler pump bracket so I haven't fully put the motor back together.

I'm assuming once I get the front supply line in I'll figure out what hydraulic line needs to be mounted where. The rear supply line probably needs some gentle redirection to keep it off the frame, but I'm not too worried about that right now.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
You have the same clutch switch setup we did. Be aware, you will have to cut the bracket down and relocate the switch if you want to mount a hood. See our post.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
If I can keep my plans straight, I will get this figured out before I get fluid into the brake/clutch reservoir, so the system can be taken apart without leaking fluid everywhere. If it requires something more drastic than grinding down, I'm thinking I can repurpose the handbrake switch as it's a contact switch similar to what Chad ended up fitting.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Is the handbrake switch a simple ground switching switch (one wire)? This may or may not work if it is only one wire.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Is the handbrake switch a simple ground switching switch (one wire)? This may or may not work if it is only one wire.
Yeah I guess I didn't think that one through too far. I'm not even sure if the upper switch is normally open or closed. I'm sure I can figure out the electrical side of the clutch switch relocation.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I'm better at working on the car than I am at posting updates, but if I don't post more, it's because I don't feel that I've been as productive as I should be or would like to be. This past weekend I got the new clutch, flywheel, slave, and rear main seal installed. Engine mated back up to the trans, and engine, trans, and subframe mounted in the car (although still not quite fully tightened up). Dual pass is all plumbed up. Last week I went back and forth installing the radiator, brake booster, clutch and slave masters, and heat exchanger - I'd install one piece and then remove it to install another, then removing the second and installing the third, then reinstalling the first and removing to reinstall the second, and so on and so forth. Fortunately my preference is to enjoy the build as much as the driving, so maybe this is my subliminal method of prolonging the build. I also owe more pics but I'd prefer to present more photogenic shots, and pictures are not as high on my list of priorities in the moment as they should be.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
General status update. Got most of the suspension on last weekend with the help of a few buddies, and I started generally aligning the wiring (mostly from the front half). I plan to put generic weather pack connectors on most of the accessories like the heat exchanger and radiators fans, which is why the radiator's still off and things aren't quite put together up there. Specialty crimper should be here soon for those. I also got one headlight mounted using @Mayor West 's designed mounts. I'll wait to get the 5-wire connectors on these before I button those up.

Attachments

Last edited:

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Crest grey.

I kid, I would never pick a color that heinously, atrociously, hideously ugly. This is Graphite Grey. Completely different.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
I was about to lol at how popular Crest Grey was but then you totally got me. They're very similar, I love the color. Nice choice.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I flipped over to Aquaman's thread because I couldn't remember his frame color. I remember he called my frame nardo when I first posted pics, but then I remembered he's not cool enough to join the halo headlight gray frame gang.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I can't seem to find my fuse box mount (pictured from the build video). I'm guessing it was inadvertently tossed into the donor before it was scrapped. I know the fuse box itself is specific to the model, but I can't find any info on the mount. Can anyone confirm or deny that the fuse box mount from, say, a base model would work just the same? I'm planning on pulling one from my local junkyard this weekend so worse case I'll be able to confirm or deny by then. If I can find a base model with a sway bar ripe for the taking, I might snag one of those as well for playing with the suspension setup.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
The lower fuse box mount is relatively the same if memory serves right. The only difference is the location where the PCM goes as they vary from model to model. Worst case, you zip tie your PCM to the box. The important thing is the multiplugs being positioned correctly so they go into the fuse box securely which any of the mounts will do.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I had to zoom in on one of my pics, but here ya go. An “L” bracket to a clamp on the top side and a long bolt through a spacer on the bottom.

edit: the spacer might be my own design. Can’t remember.
I'm pretty sure that's the piece I don't have. I have the fuse box where the multiplugs come in from the bottom side and make contact and are screwed in, but not the mount tray where you can situate (and protect) the multiplugs and mount the ECM.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
FWIW I finally found the part number for this piece, I'm a little surprised I didn't find it earlier with the name "mount bracket." Looks like my piece is compatible with all LSJ's, LE5's, and 07-10 2.2L.