Rear pads not contacting the rotor

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
So my right rear outer pad only contact the upper half of the rotor. I’ve don’t brake thousands of times and can’t figure this one out. I’ve taken everything apart and check to make sure everything is sitting flush yet it keeps only contacting the upper half of the rotor. Any ideas

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I'm pretty sure the spring-loaded pad goes on the inside of the caliper, is that the way you have it set up? And do you have the external caliper spring installed? Have you run the car at all? I got some funny pad wear as well and was told it was because my rear brakes were hardly used, so I'm adding a proportioning valve.

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
I'm pretty sure the spring-loaded pad goes on the inside of the caliper, is that the way you have it set up? And do you have the external caliper spring installed? Have you run the car at all? I got some funny pad wear as well and was told it was because my rear brakes were hardly used, so I'm adding a proportioning valve.
Dove it all last summer. Worked on them this winter. Same problem. I’ll double check the pads but I think they can only go in one position. I do have the external caliper spring installed as well

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Not that this means you got it wrong but I just installed them backwards which was real fun after fighting that external spring lol. Fortunately I realized it before I put the wheels back on.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
It should be equal, but to be honest I’m surprised the dr side one is touching all of the rotor. Most only ouch a little bit of the rotor because there’s not much brake pressure back there and the pads are tapered, until seated in fully.

I highly recommend brake proportioning. There’s several ways to do it, but the way I did it is quick and inexpensive, plus adjustable.

Scott #321

It should be equal, but to be honest I’m surprised the dr side one is touching all of the rotor. Most only ouch a little bit of the rotor because there’s not much brake pressure back there and the pads are tapered, until seated in fully.

I highly recommend brake proportioning. There’s several ways to do it, but the way I did it is quick and inexpensive, plus adjustable.

I highly recommend this as I had next to no wear on the rear prior to installing. I was able to source short lines with the proper ends so I did not have to flare any lines at all.
Tip: Use a metal coat hanger or similar wire to get test fit for brake lines then Ben your lines to match the wire, brake lines bend pretty easy once but are a pain if bent wrong.