Registering a Built Goblin You Did Not Build

pogy_soup

Hi All!
First off, this community has been super helpful, thank you guys, I apricate the insights a ton!

I have poked around and most of the threads talk about registering a Goblin that you have built yourself. I was curious if anyone had any experience registering a Goblin they purchased completed?

I am looking at a nice Goblin for sale but the owner did not title and register it, rather just swaps the plates between his registered cobalt and goblin. I think that worked great for him, but I am not sure what options that leaves me if I was to buy it.

I am in RI and after talking to a Goblin builder in RI and researching the local Kit Car laws I don't think it would be possible for me to register under those laws without heavy modification and without being the builder. I have looked at the Montana LLC route, but don't see a clear path to registration for a already built goblin.

Any advice would be greatly apricated!

Thanks,
Jon

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
I don't have experience that you're looking for, but I would assume that it would follow under the same rules. For instance, the state of Florida requires the same set of papers to be filled out showing that the parts are not stolen, the exact chain of ownership of those parts (invoices, bill of sale, etc.) to show how you came to be the new owner of the parts. Don't forget the invoice for the chassis from DF as well.

Since the Goblin was never titled or registered following these kind of rules, you may need to do an individual bill of sale for each portion:
BOS for each:
-DF kit
-cobalt title for drivetrain or for the engine itself
-seats (if not the factory cobalt seats, included with the DF kit or title of the cobalt donor isn't available)
-wheels/tires (if purchased separately or title of the cobalt donor isn't available)
-rear wing (if one was added)

Basically if it can't be tied to the invoice/BOS of the DF kit or to the donor cobalt title, you will want a BOS for each and every major component. This would be the route I would take with the state of Florida and it may follow suite with RI. Best place to ask would be the RI DMV, preferably the one (or the inspector) that other registered/titled RI Goblins have gone to since those DMV employees are more familiar with the laws than DMV employees who have never seen one in their life or a kit car for that matter.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
If it's never been titled or registered, the current owner should be able to provide you with the MCO. If not, perhaps DF would be willing to issue you another one, for a price. I am not sure though, since you are not the person they sold the kit to.

If you manage to secure an MCO, there's no reason you couldn't do the Montana route. They won't care who built the car, they (the registered agent you choose, that is) will just want the MCO, forms, some pictures, and payment.

*edit* I misspoke here, the Montana agent won't need pictures. The insurance company likely will though.

Last edited:

pogy_soup

I can definitely see what you mean there. Sadly, I do not think the seller has all of that paperwork. I suspect that would be the most correct way to have it registered though.

I don't have experience that you're looking for, but I would assume that it would follow under the same rules. For instance, the state of Florida requires the same set of papers to be filled out showing that the parts are not stolen, the exact chain of ownership of those parts (invoices, bill of sale, etc.) to show how you came to be the new owner of the parts. Don't forget the invoice for the chassis from DF as well.

Since the Goblin was never titled or registered following these kind of rules, you may need to do an individual bill of sale for each portion:
BOS for each:
-DF kit
-cobalt title for drivetrain or for the engine itself
-seats (if not the factory cobalt seats, included with the DF kit or title of the cobalt donor isn't available)
-wheels/tires (if purchased separately or title of the cobalt donor isn't available)
-rear wing (if one was added)

Basically if it can't be tied to the invoice/BOS of the DF kit or to the donor cobalt title, you will want a BOS for each and every major component. This would be the route I would take with the state of Florida and it may follow suite with RI. Best place to ask would be the RI DMV, preferably the one (or the inspector) that other registered/titled RI Goblins have gone to since those DMV employees are more familiar with the laws than DMV employees who have never seen one in their life or a kit car for that matter.

pogy_soup

The initial problems I see with the Montana route when checking the guide are as follows:
- (like you said) MCO will be in the owners name from DF.
- Odometer Disclosure Statement would also need to be pulled with my info from DF.
- I would not have the notarized bill of sale for the donor car because I cannot buy the donor car. (I see further down the thread this is not required)

I am not sure if not having the donor car would make the Montana registration fail.

If it's never been titled or registered, the current owner should be able to provide you with the MCO. If not, perhaps DF would be willing to issue you another one, for a price. I am not sure though, since you are not the person they sold the kit to.

If you manage to secure an MCO, there's no reason you couldn't do the Montana route. They won't care who built the car, they (the registered agent you choose, that is) will just want the MCO, forms, some pictures, and payment.

Last edited:

pogy_soup

Just called DF and they said they will not create an MCO for me since I was not the purchaser. Which makes sense. As a side note he also stated they will no longer put your businesses name down for the MCO. Furthermore they will not be providing any ODS statements any longer as well. He was super nice and helpful with me. It also appears the Montana guide may need some updating.

What he said would be possible is for the seller to obtain an MCO in the sellers name, then create a bill of sale to show that I purchased the car. Not sure how that would be taken by Montana and I definitely am not seeing a clear path to registration, but I am stubborn and will keep searching!

see above Ark :D's reply is really good.

Last edited:

Goblin Guru
Just making sure you saw it. I was anticipating a hard time getting it done, myself. But Montana did not ask for even a single bit of proof of the financial aspects of my car. All they need is the MCO. The seller should be able to provide the MCO to you, and it can be signed over to you (there's space on the back for this) and should probably be notarized. The LEO that does your odometer statement (as required by Montana) may ask you to see financial details of the car, but mine did not. He just looked it over, matched the VIN on my car to the VIN on my MCO, wrote in the current mileage on my odometer, told me not to speed, and went on his way. Utterly painless experience.

I think it'll be a lot easier for you than you're anticipating.

Dsteinhorst

I did Montana route, but had to go bonded title because my car once had a WI title(link in signature). With a bonded title, they don't even need the MCO. Maybe that's an option if you can't get ahold of the MCO?

pogy_soup

Dsteinhorst, I think the bonded title is good to keep in mind but I bet I can get an MCO from the seller. Ark, I think the only question I have is about the MCO back, are there multiple spaces on the back? If I buy the goblin from the seller, than I would want to put my name on the back to show that transaction. But then I would need to sell my goblin to my LLC, which would need a second back space right?

Goblin Guru
There's multiple blank spaces on the back of the MCO. I'd take a picture of it to show you, but it's in Montana presumably until I get it back from the agent.

MisterDave

As long as you get the MCO you should have no problem... You have to do a notarized bill of sale to "sell" the Goblin to your llc for the montana Registration.
I didn't use the odometer disclosure statement as long as you have the officer doing the VIN check put the current mileage on that form.