Resistance / OHMS range for Fuel sender in tank

GoblinGuyZ

Hi all setting up my custom gauge cluster and trying to confirm what the actual ohms range is for the fuel sender in the tank. I've read several different things online but they seem off from the results I'm getting and my tank is 3/4 full so dont feel like pulling it out to physically check. If anyone has one out they can check or has access to actual info would be great thanks! For reference 06 SC LSJ

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
GM traditionally has a 0-90 ohms fuel gauge. BUT, it looks like most sources are citing a 33-240 ohms gauge - which is more universal to European cars. I don't have access to my fuel pump currently, and it might be different since I'm build from a '08 LNF.

GoblinGuyZ

GM traditionally has a 0-90 ohms fuel gauge. BUT, it looks like most sources are citing a 33-240 ohms gauge - which is more universal to European cars. I don't have access to my fuel pump currently, and it might be different since I'm build from a '08 LNF.
Yeah the 0-90 was my first try and that wasnt quite right. Did the 33-240 and thought that was correct then filled up today and its showing empty lol

Goblinfanclub1234

did you try

240 empty
33 full

I am seeing that it is the opposite of what you would expect. I think it has to be one of these two.

GoblinGuyZ

So I had it set to 45 empty to 240 full and that’s showing dead empty. Just tested and I’m almost full and getting 42/43ohms. So it seems that it is actually around 40-240 indeed.
Thanks all, you never disappoint. I’ll try and drive it to as low as I can comfortably and test again to see how close it is to the expected range but I feel fairly confident that must be it.

Mattc3366

What are you using for a gauge cluster ? I just bought an android tablet and trying to setup Realdash to replace the cobalt cluster

Mattc3366

@GoblinGuyZ love the dash man! I’m ready to start building one as well now that I just got the tablet gauge setup working. What material/thickness did you build yours with ? I also like how you mounted it inwards a little to still access the hood mounting points

GoblinGuyZ

I used 5mm pvc board. Mostly because it’s super easy to work with but I will probably end up with a 1/8” aluminum sheet now I have the template completed because the pvc is a bit brittle and I think over time I will probably have issues especially with bigger people getting in and out of the passenger side and flailing about wildly lol. It’s on their strong tho because I used the 4 bolt points for the original cluster them on each end I bolted threaded roll bar clamps like what many use for the intercooler mounts on the rear so it’s very stable especially at the points where you have to push stuff.
And yes having it inward lets me remove the hood with about the same amount of ease as before and also protects the switches a bit.

GoblinGuyZ

I made my dash out of 3/16 ABS plastic. It’s easier to work than pvc and not as brittle.
Yeah that’s what I was looking for but no one near me had. I wasn’t sure if it would be a lot different but now you say I’ll probably order some and use that instead. Thanks