Right Hand Drive?

Pig

Been looking at goblins recently, was curious - anyone ever seen one right hand drive? Why not make the already stand out car, stand out even more right?

I wonder how hard it would be to swap one to right hand drive?

G Atsma

Goblin Guru
Been looking at goblins recently, was curious - anyone ever seen one right hand drive? Why not make the already stand out car, stand out even more right?

I wonder how hard it would be to swap one to right hand drive?
The BIG question many of us who give a rip about this are asking is...... WHY????
Unless you live in the British Isles....

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
No one that I’m aware of has made it RHD yet. The frame is designed with LHD in mind as the steering column support, pedal box supports, etc. are all welded in on the left side of the frame. DF has a jig to weld each frame by hand and perfectly places each piece so that customers don’t run into issues during assembly. Making one RHD would require a custom build from DF and I’m not sure if that’s something they’d take on honestly.

They’d also have to bend the brake lines to the opposite side, clutch line as well (if manual) and I’m sure there are other considerations I’m not thinking of related to the frame.

You’d also have to source a RHD steering rack

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
The BIG question many of us who give a rip about this are asking is...... WHY????
Unless you live in the British Isles....
I would do it because I had a brain hemorrhage when I was 16 that has left me with some motor deficits in my right extremities, such as a lack of proprioception. Having driven RHD and LHD vehicles, I have found that I don't grab the wrong gear with an H pattern box when I'm shifting with my left hand.

Dale E

Yes, you can do it if you want - it's your Goblin! You will however have to fabricate your steering, brake, pedal mounting points. Perhaps DF could do a delete on the jig welding up those so you would have a clean slate chassis. Or, chassis as jigged, so if you sold it it would be convertible to Left hand again. Some cars were built to be either side and still are. Might have to relocate a few other items (battery location?).

Bending brake lines isn't difficult. Aftermarket pedal assemblies are available. In fact, a left hand drive Lotus, MG, or other will have the pedals oriented the same way as the Cobalt -- A right hand drive lotus Seven is still clutch left, brake middle and throttle right. Left hand shifting shouldn't be a problem.

You have to pull out into on coming traffic more to pass someone. So that might be a little scary to learn for a while.

All the electrical wiring, and power train doesn't care where it it is.

If you want a Goblin to be unique -- go for it!! Document the build for others to see!

Ross

Goblin Guru
Lonny, was the RH goblin with a Ferrari body? Do you have pictures to show us? We need more details. :)

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Lonny, was the RH goblin with a Ferrari body? Do you have pictures to show us? We need more details. :)
This. And now I've got to watch for it to come up for sale like the SLC chassis that were used in Need For Speed, because I want a RHD Goblin if its got a manual...

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Lonny,

How did you handle the steering? Just U joints back to the standard rack or did you source a different rack?

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
As far as I know, you would not be able to tell which one was ours. He told us it would be used in the background when they just need some other cars on the track as fillers.

For the steering, I installed a bearing housing to support a sprocket in the original spot. No steering wheel.

I then installed a normal goblin steering assembly on the right-hand side that would spin but did not attach to anything but another sprocket.

I wrapped chain from one sprocket to the other.

It worked surprisingly well. We put a lot of force on it to make sure it was safe.

It felt just as solid and smooth as our normal steering.