Running cold

kurbkilla

I have seen threads about the cars running hot and needing cooling options. I have the opposite problem. On commutes to and from work it struggles to reach 165. At track days it hovers right around 195. Other than covering up the oil cooler or the radiator, are there any other ideas to keep the engine warmer.

Attachments

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Thermostat should be keeping your coolant from flowing until it hits 180 F. So yes, sounds like "replace the thermostat".

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
What part of your system is different from standard layout? If you aren't running anything that is much different from standard, it's probably the thermostat. If that little bit of coolant that might bypass the thermostat is enough to keep it from reaching normal operating temps, what would happen in a normal vehicle in cold weather.

The only other possibility is the temperature sensor and it is actually at operating temp.

kurbkilla

I have an external oil cooler on the side of the car, which would get some air cooling from driving. That is the only change, and why I included the picture.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Of course it will get warmer if you block the radiator and might get a little warmer if you block the oil cooler but shouldn't be necessary during normal ambient temps.

I assume the temps your indicated in your first post is coolant temp and not oil temp?

kurbkilla

Of course it will get warmer if you block the radiator and might get a little warmer if you block the oil cooler but shouldn't be necessary during normal ambient temps.

I assume the temps your indicated in your first post is coolant temp and not oil temp?
Correct, Coolant temp numbers from the instrument cluster. Ambient temps are 70-85.

Ross

Goblin Guru
My goblin isn't good at holding temperature. 165F-195F would be normal for it.
I have purchased a Davies Craig electric water pump and controller, we will see if that keeps the temperature more steady. It controls the water flow and the radiator fan, so it should be able to hold temperature better than the thermostat. I purchased it to get rid of the stock chain driven water pump, as I am eliminating the chain driven balance shafts, so now that whole chain and sprockets can be removed from the engine.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Put you old thermostat in a pot of water and add heat. Check the temperature when it opens.
You temp sensor may be off. How close to ambient does it read after it cools off completely? It typically won’t be exact since the engine mass changes temperature more slowly than ambient air. But it should be fairly close.

kurbkilla

How close to ambient does it read after it cools off completely? It typically won’t be exact since the engine mass changes temperature more slowly than ambient air. But it should be fairly close.
I'm not reading the ambient off the gauges, I'm reading it off a weather app. I'm looking at replacing the thermostat on the oil cooler next.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Or to put it this way, on a cold engine (off for 8+ hours), what does the computer indicate are the IAT and ECT? They should be within a few degrees of each other.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Or to put it this way, on a cold engine (off for 8+ hours), what does the computer indicate are the IAT and ECT? They should be within a few degrees of each other.
This is a good way to check if the ect sensor is working properly.

Also, are all the hoses hot to the touch?

kurbkilla

In case anyone was wondering it probably was the ECT sensor. Did a 7 minute drive this morning with the outside temperature being about 72° and my thermostat for ECT was 172