SC vs. TC Goblin?

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Guys,
I thought a while back there were approx 0-60 times on the goblin web page. I can't seem to find them now, however they were just estimates. The LSJ has a huge fan base even though it has approx 55 less hp. I previously bought and sold a 09 Cobalt SS so I am more familiar with the LNF, and thought the power was great. Looking on Copart, there are pro's and cons to each. I cant imagine I'd ever take off the supercharger and replace it with a turbo. So, whatever I get I need to be happy with it.

I guess what I am asking is anyone here have experience driving both set ups and if so, what are your thoughts.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
If I had to do it all over again, I'd go with the LSJ. I'm not a fan of the direct injection. Not having the fuel spray ahead of the intake valves causes carbon to build up on them. It's a PITA to clean. The other reason is that I'd rather have the power available immediately and throughout the power band. You can also run a smaller pulley and narrow the power delta gap between the SCs and TCs.

I've never ridden or driven in either one so sorry for not having a first hand experience answer. :)

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
I have ridden in the turbo car, And I own the SC car. They are both fast and will not disappoint. Keep in mind I dynoed stock SC as it sits in the goblin at 222hp/217tq. I'm going to be installing the stage 3 kit and switching to E85 before spring, And am expecting around 265 wheel HP.

Nuker-

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
My understanding is the LSJ is a stronger block and can handle more hp before having to spend money on reinforcing it.

You could start off supercharged. Want more power? Convert to turbo. You can utilize the supercharger manifold with intercooler, adding a throttle body adapter plate and be pretty much ready for up around 400hp.
Some people are locating good used Saab exhaust manifolds and turbos if your wanting to keep costs down.

Turbocharging will yield a higher hp potential while not having to run e85 or race fuels, although it does help make it easier.
E85 is hard to come by here in the NW.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
At 300 hp, you can expect 0-60 in just under 3 sec, provided a good launch.

I was going to go with the LSJ initially, but its getting harder and harder to find them and many of the ones around are high mileage & being trashed by fast n furious wannabe kids who abuse the **** out of them & do not know what they are doing. To find one in decent shape they’re going for almost twice the NADA value.

From a cost vs. performance standpoint, I prefer the LNF gen 2 because of it’s newer technology. An LDK crate engine with turbo can still be purchased for under $3000 from zzp (which is less than what you will spend trying to turbo an LSJ to similar hp numbers. A Harrop supercharger alone is $2500). The LNF/LDK VVT provides twice the low-end torque band and the turbo is very efficient. The direct injection is forgiving mixture-wise, provided a proper tune is done. It puts out much more tq and horsepower with a mild, forgiving tune and doesn’t require Ethanol to run up around 300 hp. I am not so worried about the carbon deposit issue, as that can be easily mitigated through the use of an efficient PCV catch can system.

I think the forged version of the LE5 2.4 VVT (my 2nd choice) is also an excellent choice for a Goblin (Can you say low end torque?) and easy to add a turbo or SC, but much harder to find (donor wise) with a manual transmission. I believe it will bolt to an F35 with a custom flywheel, but I’m not positive on that.

Unless you’re trying to go over 400 hp, either block and internals will suffice reliably but you may want to start considering upgrading the transmission at that point, depending on how sticky your tires are, because you are obviously building a hard-launching drag racing car now. Anyone wanting to build a Goblin over 400 hp also probably has a death wish.

I have no experience with both setups; I did drive 700 miles to Texas just to take a ride in Lonny’s stock 205 hp supercharged LSJ. That alone is more than fast enough for the Goblin. Its insane.

Last edited:

Brian74

Goblin Guru
If I had to do it all over again, I'd go with the LSJ. I'm not a fan of the direct injection. Not having the fuel spray ahead of the intake valves causes carbon to build up on them. It's a PITA to clean. The other reason is that I'd rather have the power available immediately and throughout the power band. You can also run a smaller pulley and narrow the power delta gap between the SCs and TCs.

I've never ridden or driven in either one so sorry for not having a first hand experience answer. :)
Talk to [email protected]. He has developed a well-known catch can that significantly cuts down on the LNF carbon deposit issues. Its not cheap, but it works as advertised. He is super friendly and will respond quickly and answer any questions you have.