Stand Alone ECU?

MX184

The inner geek in me wants to have the latest and greatest in computers onboard. Any one else out there try to use a FuelTech or HalTech standalone ECU onboard? I'm currently looking at possibly the FT450 Street kit. Or should I stick with the stock ECU and get the HPTuners suite?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Depends on what you are looking for and to do. If you want the most advanced tech stuff to impress, the aftermarket ECU might fit the bill. If you want simplicity, low-cost and retain all OEM features, stick with stock.

I had a reseller of the aftermarket ECU spend much of my valuable time at a recent auto cross trying to sell me on why I need an aftermarket ECU. I personally didn't see the need for it when I already have what I needed. Which that being said, there are certainly a time and place for the aftermarket units. Kaleb works with a Motech at school all the time on their SAE car, they NEED it. If you have to have sensors, data, and customization that's not available on the OEM unit, aftermarket is the way to go. But I see no reason to go that route unless your requirements aren't met already.

MX184

I'm sure my requirements would be met with the OEM unit. My Goblin with see the occasional track days, autocross, 1/8 mile dragstrip as well as street use. I'm just one of those people that likes to analyze all the stuff and tinker. When I got my latest yz450 enduro race bike the first thing I bought was the GYTR mobile tuner, lol.

Last edited:

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I'm sure my requirements would be met with the OEM unit. My Goblin with see the occiasional track days, autocross, 1/8 mile dragstrip as well as street use. I'm just one of those poeple that likes to analyze all the stuff and tinker. When I got my latest yz450 enduro race bike the first thing I bought was the GYTR mobile tuner, lol.
Nothing wrong with that! Don't let me discourage you if that is your passion. I can be the same way sometimes. I enjoyed working with HP Tuners to make the car my own. Just be prepared for the extra work and possible issues along the way. No two builds are the same and this might be your way of building a unique vehicle.