State to state title transfer of Goblin's

ehagerty

Hey all,
Have a question. I am considering purchasing Lokian's Goblin. He is in IN and I in NC. It is already titled so would there be any legal issues to hurdle over to transfer title to NC that anyone knows of? I do not need a major struggle if i purchase the car. Thanks!

Eric
Charlotte, NC

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Since it's already titled, it shouldn't be too difficult. However, I would prepare as if you were registering it for the first time in the state of NC as if you were the original builder. If NC requires emissions for example then you may need to add the EVAP system back into the Goblin.

ehagerty

Is that complicated? Probably is if Lokian's no longer has the parts....... also I noticed most of these no longer have catalytic converters. Yes NC has emissions but it is just visual and a OBD read for readiness

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Adding back in the evac and stuff can be difficult if you don’t have the parts and knowledge how to make it work again. The Cat can be welded back in by any reputable exhaust shop.

My suggestion would be to pursue the Montana route if you purchase as it’s pretty headache free, just takes a little extra money and time to do

Wes

NC won't require anything but safety inspection on these, it is classified as "custom" and most people won't have any idea what you are talking about. I have been to several inspection shops over the past few years and they can't even get it to pull up in their system. Call the license and theft office in your county, the people that you talk to at first won't know anything either but they should be able to connect you with an "officer" that will eventually call you back and sort it all out. If not then Montana works too.

ehagerty

NC won't require anything but safety inspection on these, it is classified as "custom" and most people won't have any idea what you are talking about. I have been to several inspection shops over the past few years and they can't even get it to pull up in their system. Call the license and theft office in your county, the people that you talk to at first won't know anything either but they should be able to connect you with an "officer" that will eventually call you back and sort it all out. If not then Montana works too.
Yea I been researching the Montana gig but seems like a pain for just a little play toy. If I do that then I will register my M4 thee too then screw emissions on it. I just know most of these have most of the emission stuff removed. All my other mods have been legal

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Weigh the pain - reinstall all of the emissions equipment which will require fabrication and calibration to be operational again so it doesn't kick out any OBD codes. OR pay the Montana fees for the LLC and licensing (which may be cheaper than just licensing in some states) and avoid the bigger pain of getting the emissions to work along with the recurring testing requirement to renew the license. Personal choice is one of the biggest perks/opportunities of building and owning a Goblin. ;)

ehagerty

Yes DS that is very good point but unfortunately as much as I would like to..... i can't build my own unless I built a larger garage and then I would not be affording a Goblin. Thanks for all the feedback.....

I wonder what peeps do when they are ticketed with Montana plates? Nobody gets wise...

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Just thinking out loud: the LLC in Montana technically owns the Goblin, I would guess it gets issued to the corporation. And with you being the sole proprietor of that corporation it would likely end up on your license - even though that license is issued within a different state. Best prevention is to save the hoonigan activity for the track and keep your well being safe on the street. ;)

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
Getting a Montana Tag was really effortless. The only down side was a fairly long wait & the added expense. I can supply you with copies of my paperwork that breezed right through last year.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
And added expense isn't really a real thing either, since more often than not, you're going to be paying taxes during state registration if you register at home.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
In the state of Florida, if you're pulled over for any infraction then the driver gets the ticket (except click-it tickets, they can be given to passengers). However, if the infraction was only captured by a camera such as a red light camera or speed camera, then it gets issues based on plate, which would be the LLC. If the ticket isn't paid, then they would pursue legal action against the LLC which would fall on the registered owner, regardless if you were driving or not. If you weren't driving, then you'd take it to court and try to fight it which is usually easy enough to do because they can't prove that you were driving the vehicle.

Regarding the additional expense being a mute point by Ark, he's actually fairly correct. In Pensacola, new vehicle tax is 7.5% and I'm assuming that's what I'd be charged if I tried to register it here. When I purchased a year ago, that would put me around $900 in taxes plus title fees and registration fees. Going the Montana route would actually save me money if I'm not mistaken as it's roughly $800 or so for the entire process (I haven't done it yet).

*edit* FTFY @Ark :D :D

Last edited:

Goblin Guru
Good to know I'm "actually fairly correct". :) That being said, I saved money too vs. registering in PA.

*edit* Missed the smiley.

ehagerty

I found a company that does it all for you for $849 to set up the LLC and do all the paperwork and reg the car. Then I think they charge you something like $49 a year to maintain your LLC. I am trying to learn more..... the major issue is the ins

Goblin Guru
I found a company that does it all for you for $849 to set up the LLC and do all the paperwork and reg the car. Then I think they charge you something like $49 a year to maintain your LLC. I am trying to learn more..... the major issue is the ins
@ehagerty

ehagerty

Thanks for the added reading! I am on it...... so far though most of this references purchasing a new kit so to speak. Can I set this up and then when I purchase a built unit I immediately do it thru the LLC and avoid sales tax along with the reg ease? Sorry I am a bit dumb since I have always done cars the "normal" way and they were all emission "legal". I really do appreciate all the help and look forward to being a owner of someones pride n joy :)

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
In the state of Florida, if you're pulled over for any infraction then the driver gets the ticket (except click-it tickets, they can be given to passengers). However, if the infraction was only captured by a camera such as a red light camera or speed camera, then it gets issues based on plate, which would be the LLC. If the ticket isn't paid, then they would pursue legal action against the LLC which would fall on the registered owner, regardless if you were driving or not. If you weren't driving, then you'd take it to court and try to fight it which is usually easy enough to do because they can't prove that you were driving the vehicle.
Registration is a moot point if you get pulled over. Typically, the driver gets the ticket whether the car is registered in a different state, to a different owner, or not registered at all (just more tickets in this case). I'm curious to know if there is a state, county, or municipality where registration affects citations for moving violations.

To r3drckt's point about photo enforcement and the like (toll enforcement, air enforcement, etc.) the tags are used and unless you borrowed/stole the car, it will all come back to you as the registered owner of the LLC.

I planned on going the Montana route just for ease of registration (I'm in Illinois). The tax side of the equation wasn't even a consideration until I started researching it. It was one of the deciding factors for having my kit shipped versus picking it up after I researched everything. The cost savings to have it shipped plus LLC fees is significantly cheaper than the expense of picking up the kit and taxes, but I am also 900 miles away from Red Oak, TX, meaning the trip was not going to be cheap the week before xmas.

Goblin Guru
Thanks for the added reading! I am on it...... so far though most of this references purchasing a new kit so to speak. Can I set this up and then when I purchase a built unit I immediately do it thru the LLC and avoid sales tax along with the reg ease? Sorry I am a bit dumb since I have always done cars the "normal" way and they were all emission "legal". I really do appreciate all the help and look forward to being a owner of someones pride n joy :)
New kit, bought car, ... it's all the same. Especially the insurance part.

Goblin Guru
So the nI should set up the LLC before I attempt to purchase....or that is before I attempt to register it
Before registration, correct. They'll set up the LLC in like 2 days, then you'll start the process for registering the car. You'd have to ask them the difference between registering a non-titled car like I did, against registering a titled car like you'd be doing. But it WILL work.