Suspension travel measurement

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
Hi Forum,

After reading the front wing post. I thought about how to measure the suspension travel during driving. My idea is to record the travel of the springs over time maybe 10hz sampling or so. Now there are multiple ways of achieving that and as always I like to build it on a budget.

1. Install a rotary encoder and measure the angle change of the suspension arms. KY 040 seems the cheap rotary encoder used. Problem it has only 20steps per 360deg means no more than 1.8deg accuracy. (don't know how long the arms are, but that seems to high of a inaccuracy). Second thought was the AMT 104 encoder for around $20+… Hmm, ok that could work, but it goes quickly on a higher budget.

2. Maybe a linear encoder, well that could work but it looks to big…

3. Some sort of contactless distance measuring. First I thought about ultrasonic, advantage is: independent of daylight. HR SC 104 or the US 100. I believe i have some laying around in a box.

4. Then I thought about time of flight sensors. For example the VL53L0X. Problem here is the sensitivity to daylight.

My idea is anyway putting a raspberry pi digital dash in the car and you just need a little more wiring to record the suspension data. It could also be realized with just some arduinos.

Let`s see when i get the car.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
How about measuring at ride height and then load up the front of the car with extra weight until it stops squatting? This would also be a good opportunity to see how the caster, camber and toe angle change on the suspension under load. Just a thought. :D