Switching a SS/SC specked goblin to SS/TC

PHENDERSON

Having a hard time finding a replacement LSJ engine so I'm wondering how difficult it would be to change my goblin to use the LNF/LHU turbo engine. Other than the extra supplied parts from DF I'd there anything else to consider? Assuming I purchase a complete LNF/LHU with engine harness and the extra parts supplied by DF is there anything else to rework?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
It will have to have the ECM. By complete engine, you will likely need everything from throttle body to the exhaust housing after the turbo. May possibly need clutch and accelerator pedals or swap their sensors out (not sure about this). Fuse box is likely different. Instrument cluster may need swapping. Probably needs the complete main harness reworked. Need to confirm BCM pinouts are the same. Theft Deterrent Module may not talk to the ECM.

You are going from a early model to a late model as driven by the fact that the LNF is DI that requires the ECM swap. That in turn drives a lot of other possible issues with wiring and other modules talking back and forth. Might be worth swapping to an aftermarket ECM at that point.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
Having a hard time finding a replacement LSJ engine so I'm wondering how difficult it would be to change my goblin to use the LNF/LHU turbo engine. Other than the extra supplied parts from DF I'd there anything else to consider? Assuming I purchase a complete LNF/LHU with engine harness and the extra parts supplied by DF is there anything else to rework?
It will be much easier to find a LSJ engine.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
I think 2.1L might be an approach worth looking into. Basically where you use an LE5 2.4L with LSJ crank and head? Off the top of my head I can't remember what you need for rods and pistons. More information on CSS. Justin Reed might even be running the 2.1L if I remember correctly.

jaredthenav

You can also look for a Saab B207 engine, most commonly used in the Saab 9-3 Turbo through most of its last decade in production. If you still have everything from the outside of the long block, there are only a few modifications necessary to adapt the Saab B207 into a supercharged LSJ. ZZP has posted some of the info on their YouTube channel, and Cat V Portworks makes the specific bolt to plug the turbo return line on the B207. I think ZZP recommends keeping the LSJ cams, but everything else on the inside of the engine is identical--and externally it looks just like an LSJ. An eBay search gives a lot more options at a much lower price than an LSJ search. I'm considering getting myself a second one as a backup/insurance!

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
You can also look for a Saab B207 engine, most commonly used in the Saab 9-3 Turbo through most of its last decade in production. If you still have everything from the outside of the long block, there are only a few modifications necessary to adapt the Saab B207 into a supercharged LSJ. ZZP has posted some of the info on their YouTube channel, and Cat V Portworks makes the specific bolt to plug the turbo return line on the B207. I think ZZP recommends keeping the LSJ cams, but everything else on the inside of the engine is identical--and externally it looks just like an LSJ. An eBay search gives a lot more options at a much lower price than an LSJ search. I'm considering getting myself a second one as a backup/insurance!
It’s funny you mention this. I was just thinking about this option driving down the road plus Saab is fairly easy to find much lower cost than cobalt in a lot of cases.

devianteng

What's the problem with your LSJ? If the block and head is in overall good shape, just rebuild. If you have a rod through your block, find a gen 3 (LHU) block and use new LSJ rods/pistons internals and your LSJ head. Block good but head toast? Contact vendors like ZZP, CatV, etc and see if they have a head to sell you. I'm pretty sure that finding a replacement crank would be the most difficult, so if your crank is good that's a great start IMO.

It really depends on how handy you are, and what your budget is. For about $600 I refreshed my LSJ bottom end (rod bearings, main bearings, piston rings, main seals, timing chain guides/tensioner/chain, BradBUILT balance shaft delete, head gasket, main studs, head studs, head decked but not the block, head inspected/valve seals, etc).

wallace58

I got a low mileage LSJ a few months ago online out of Georgia for a very good price. Just saying.

PHENDERSON

My LSJ is leaking coolant terribly. I did a total rebuild already. I'm worried I cracked the block when I resleeved the cylinders. Just considering options.

PHENDERSON

I reached out to ZZP last week about compatibility and they said the LNF or LHU block can be used with LSJ head and internals fairly easily. Sounds like some have done that already.

devianteng

I reached out to ZZP last week about compatibility and they said the LNF or LHU block can be used with LSJ head and internals fairly easily. Sounds like some have done that already.
Yeah, a buddy of mine recently did a budget build. LHU block, stock LSJ internals and LSJ head. That’s what I’d be trying to do if you think your block really is cracked.