Transmission help needed

RouteAbel

I did a fair job labeling and documenting most things but I really blew it on the day I split my transmission from engine. I think I might have had too many cold beverages that hot August day. Now I am not sure how to mate the transmission and which bolts go where. If anyone has good pictures or has bolts labeled in a bag they could photograph I would be very appreciative.

Also I am wondering about this space where you can see into the transmission housing. It seems quite odd that you would be able to see this bit of flywheel but I do kind of remember that during disassembly. Is there anything that covers this gap?

Ross

Goblin Guru
Did you find a little piece of black metal lying around?
This is on my LSJ with a F35, picture of the transmission, with the engine removed.

I probably could use the bolt head pictures too, as mine needs to be assembled too.

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
I can't tell from your picture, but did you remember the aluminum spacer that goes between the engine and the bell housing?

RouteAbel

Ha! No I didn't. I had figured out that was missing when I went digging through my parts wondering what I was missing but its not yet on in the picture.

Thank you JBINTX, that is helpful as well. Still missing a few bolts in the pictures.

Ross

Goblin Guru
It will lighten your car, and let the clutch dust out. Don't put your finger in, and it will work fine. The bell housing isn't water proof. If you find it in a week, just put it back on.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Some of the donors we have torn down don't have that small cover. It may not have been on every model.

RouteAbel

I'm trying to interpret the diagram on page 46. My best guess is that the studs go here:

I'm not sure what should go here. There are no threads on the engine "Pin, Trans Loc" side but there are threads on transmission bell housing. A bolt could come from the back?

There is a similar one on the other side.

Then there is another bolt holt that appears it would take a bolt from the back.

Finally I am not sure what this open hole is for. It doesn't appear to have threads and doesn't show anything there in the parts manual.

Ross

Goblin Guru
That is a straight thru hole on my tranny. Nothing in it.

I found 3 of those stud/bolts on my tranny. One in my Bell Housing bag of bolts.