Tuning

They charge $615 for an email tune cause it's an engine swapped car. So with hp tuners and unlocking, that's $1000. They messed up the last 2.4 engine with their shitty tune that would run 8.5 to 1 afr with a smoke leak tested setup. Does no one have a l61 2.2 tune either na or supercharged?

TravMac

Remote tuning can be tricky as well since there are various things that make your build it's own special little snowflake. Finding a reputable tuning person in your area will be the best bang for your buck. It's not always cheap, but will get you on the road in a car that responds well to it's build.

Ross

Goblin Guru
They charge $615 for an email tune cause it's an engine swapped car. So with hp tuners and unlocking, that's $1000. They messed up the last 2.4 engine with their shitty tune that would run 8.5 to 1 afr with a smoke leak tested setup. Does no one have a l61 2.2 tune either na or supercharged?
By the time you buy HP Tuners, and a wideband O2 sensor & gauge, it is about $600.
Then you have to go for many tuning drives, and collect data on your engine, then send it to them.
By the time you are done, you pretty much have learned how to tune your own engine.
It isn't that hard, we can help you learn. You can post your tune & logging data here, and get feedback. It is easy to apply data to your tune.

I see the L61 Gen2 tunes in the HP Tuners Repository, but not the Gen1 engines. Maybe HP Tuners isn't available for the early engine?
What year is your engine?
L61 Gen22007-2008Chevrolet Cobalt148 hp (110 kW) @ 5600 rpm152 lb-ft (205 N⋅m) @ 4200 rpm
L61 Gen12005–2006

Last edited:
It's a 07. The repository tunes say I can't upload them. I already have go tuners. My 2.4 ate crap so I bought a brand new 2.2. I went to buy a built 2.4 shorblock from zzp and their free shipping was 500 something. I even put it shipping to the local Walmart with a lift in case it was just a residential thing. Still their free shipping was ungodly. I have shipped two Subaru short locks before in my life for under $150, it's not that hard. One can easily lift a 4 cylinder aluminum shortblock out of the truck with the drivers help. I have already spent $300 in credits in the last year unlocking pcm's. I shouldn't have to spend a $100 for flashing a stock tune. I don't know what to do. I have a zzp 2.4 m62 canned tune if anyone wants it.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Let's zoom out a little bit to make sure that we understand and so we can better help you.

You built a Goblin with a 2.4l and a supercharger. Did it run?

The 2.4 popped at some point, and then was replaced with a 2.2. Does it now have, or has it always had, the supercharger on it? Has it ever run in the Goblin?

You said you've unlocked 3 PCMs (or spent $300 unlocking PCMs). When did you swap PCMs, and/or why?

You have HP Tuners, right? I'm with Ross, by the time you facilitate a remote tune, you're most of the way to tuning it yourself, especially if you want/allow the community to help you. I'm not sure why you specifically can't flash a stock tune but I know there can be slight OS mismatches that can prevent that. You might be able to get 90% of the way to flashing a stock tune by copying tables from one tune to another, but again that arrives at the doorstep of tuning it yourself. We can probably walk you through that if it'd be helpful.

Anks329

I'm working on MAF tuning my L61 2.2 NA auto at the moment. I've got my as found and first step files in the google drive link in my signature. You could use that as a starting point.

It was a NA 2.4 for the first year, than I supercharged it last year. It would run 0-60 in 3.8 seconds but would shut off going down a hill manytimes or coasting to a light. If it didn't shut off, it for idle very bad like it would die. Twenty seconds later it would be okay. Could never find a vacuum leak and it should of ran lean, not rich. My o2 sensor is in the required spot away enough from the engine and clocked in the correct spot. Almost all sensors were replaced with new OEM ones. The car wouldn't start last year on an ACdelco MAF sensor. I took it back and got another one from a different source, same result. It wouldn't work on either on the two used ones I had. The only one that would work a Chinese maf from Oreilly
's. With that one, it would die if unplugged while running and wouldn't start if not plugged in either. I just assumed someone was selling fake Acdelco sensors. The compression was still crap in two of the cylinders so I changed to a new 07-08 l61. So I just tried to upload that file. It says I don't have a license for that file. Same with a 2.2 m62 file I have. I have used 6 credits, 3 times, for this car. I had my computer shut one time during the writing phase and it bricked the pcm. I bought another one, used my old VIN when I unlocked it so it didn't work and had to switch the VIN again and spend another $100 on unlocking it. Before my new pcm the car would start but not run. It was on the tune for the 2.4, so I thought that was all it was. Now it won't start, just crank. I have recently switched the engine wiring harness for the 2.4 to the 07-08 2.2 harness thinking it was something with the VVT not being plugged in. Does the same thing. No engine codes are appropriate but the crankshaft sensor ones. How can I do a crank relearn if the car won't run though? Supposed to do it after it is running. Just put 3 gallons of gas in it today in case the fuel lever sensor was ungodly off.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Wow. Okay... slow down.
2007 2.2L L61 engine, 2007-08 2.2L wiring harness, and a 2.4L ECU?

Yes to all but the 2.4 is the same pcm as the other engines in that year so no conflict. Multiple different tunes have been put on there and it won't start.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I can offer some tuning advice, but I wouldn't guess your issues are in the actual tune, so I'll go off a little more into general speculation.

Is is possible you're not firing due to antitheft (Passlock)?

Does your throttle body move with the engine on key off?

Are you sure you're getting fuel to the cylinders?

Do you have any reason to think you don't have spark?

Do you see any RPM on the tach while you're cranking?

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Are you using all the sensors from the motor that the ECU goes with ? When I did the lsj b207r swap I had to reuse all the lsj sensors including the crank and cam sensors for it to run correctly.

Original cutting off sounds like bad MAF curve and possible DFCO settings.