Turbo noise

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
Sorry for the stupid question. I’ve driven both turbo and supercharged cars for years. I’ve never heard one like this car. There’s no sound of a blowoff valve when coming off the gas under power. It sounds like there is a turkey in my engine. What am I missing?
PS. It was this way in the donor

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
You can watch some of my autoX videos and listen since the GoPro is mounted on the rar bar and picks it up pretty well.

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
You can watch some of my autoX videos and listen since the GoPro is mounted on the rar bar and picks it up pretty well.

Yep sounds nothing like that. Yours sounds like I think mine should. I’ll have to take one tomorrow. A bit to late to be rev the turbo tonight.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I remember riding in Rich’s turbo and it making that turkey gobble sound off throttle. I had a Mitsubishi once that sounded similar. I believe it is from compressor surge. Obviously the factory engines did not come with blow off valves but wastegates instead.

AZmoto

The factory K04 turbo has an integrated bypass valve. There should be a tube running from that to the bypass solenoid mounted on the intake manifold. The other two lines coming off of the bypass solenoid are the pre and post throttle body boost references. One goes to the intake manifold and the other goes to the charge pipe before the throttle body. Sounds like something may not be hooked up correctly.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Every video I have ever seen of the Z24 from ZZP makes the turkey gobble sound too. The people on the cobalt ss forums said something about waste gate flutter?

Nuker-

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
If you have the stock KO4 with the stock bpv on stock boost it should sound pretty mechanical or a little like a rattle snake if you're pushing higher than stock boost (hopefully this makes sense). It's unlikely you have an upgraded bpv spring but it could also be too heavy for the boost you're running. My assumption is you may have things plumbed incorrectly.

The hose coming off your bpv wraps around to the solenoid on the intake manifold. Maybe you can share a pic?

Different turbo and the forged bpv, but you get the idea

Last edited:

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
It sounded the same when it was in the donor. There we’re quite a few upgrades on my car so maybe they did something with the turbo

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
So what I’ve been reading is the bov isn’t opening like it should with vacuum. People remedy the “turkey” sound by finding their vacuum leaks (usually one of the hoses going to the bov or T splitter). The gobble is compressor surge which can cause the compressor shaft to snap so fixing it should be a priority.

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
So what I’ve been reading is the bov isn’t opening like it should with vacuum. People remedy the “turkey” sound by finding their vacuum leaks (usually one of the hoses going to the bov or T splitter). The gobble is compressor surge which can cause the compressor shaft to snap so fixing it should be a priority.
I have this open on my turbo, if I block it off the turbo doesn’t work, I guess that would effect the vacuum.
Justin Reed emailed me and said that’s what he did , so I figured it was good enough for him it would work for me :)

Attachments

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Not sure what that part is exactly, but it looks like a T connector in essence. When you say you blocked it off, did you put a plug on it, or did you run it to a vacuum source? That could be the reason as it looks like the one line is going to the bov (assuming that's it) below.

Edit:

So that's the wastegate, not the bov (dumb me). The T part is the wastegate actuator control solenoid and the one line that's open is the atmospheric reference vacuum line, so leaving it open like that shouldn't affect anything. Unless you are venting the wrong side of the control solenoid and have the atmospheric side connected to the boost refence vacuum line and you have the boost reference line open to atmosphere o_O

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
Not sure what that part is exactly, but it looks like a T connector in essence. When you say you blocked it off, did you put a plug on it, or did you run it to a vacuum source? That could be the reason as it looks like the one line is going to the bov (assuming that's it) below.

Edit:

So that's the wastegate, not the bov (dumb me). The T part is the wastegate actuator control solenoid and the one line that's open is the atmospheric reference vacuum line, so leaving it open like that shouldn't affect anything. Unless you are venting the wrong side of the control solenoid and have the atmospheric side connected to the boost refence vacuum line and you have the boost reference line open to atmosphere o_O
I plugged it up. I just sent a email to ZZPERFORMANCE sense I bought the engine from them and I‘m doing a remote to with them also. To ask about gobble noise

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Definitely let us know! the z57 package comes with the remote tuning as well, but I haven't had time to pull the stock file (or even start the engine build) so I have no idea if I'll have that gobble noise or not (hopefully not). Out of curiosity, where do you have the bpv plumbed to?

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
I plugged it up. I just sent a email to ZZPERFORMANCE sense I bought the engine from them and I‘m doing a remote to with them also. To ask about gobble noise
The only lines I hooked up to the turbo was the water line and the brown looking vacuum thing, The rest was all done by ZZP

Attachments