Two Questions

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
My son and I are looking at building one together. But I have a few questions.

1) Has anyone placed any value on the finished product? In other words, after the build is it worth more than the cost of the build. Has any sold one yet. Not looking to make a profit, just want to know what the potential return might be if I should have to sell it once he is out and on his own.

2) How difficult is it to get insurance through the typical big insurance companies?

Root

I have no such experience in these matters, but .......

1) The value is to be measured in one of two ways:
The collective cash value of all parts & labor expendatures related to the construction of the vehicle.
Or, the value is to be measured by the enjoyment & comraderie you shared with your son while working on the project; not to be considered by the fair market.

2) It is my understanding that registration is the challenge, not liability coverage.

AleX1/9

1) Has anyone placed any value on the finished product? In other words, after the build is it worth more than the cost of the build. Has any sold one yet. Not looking to make a profit, just want to know what the potential return might be if I should have to sell it once he is out and on his own.
Lonny, Adam, and crew will build you a turn key turbo for around $32k and I think the base model is low to mid 20's. Pretty sure this includes sourcing a donor (with varying miles and condition) and all body panels. I haven't heard of any builders selling or advertising theirs for sale, but I assume a completed one would bring a bit less than one built by DF. As with any vehicle, quality of the parts and build vary and so would the prices. If I ever sold mine, I wouldn't expect to get much more than my total investment.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I have no such experience in these matters, but .......

2) It is my understanding that registration is the challenge, not liability coverage.
From what I read earlier about Missouri, the registration is easy. Also I live in Jefferson City, which is where all the state agencies are and could make it quite easy for inspection.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Lonny, Adam, and crew will build you a turn key turbo for around $32k and I think the base model is low to mid 20's. Pretty sure this includes sourcing a donor (with varying miles and condition) and all body panels. I haven't heard of any builders selling or advertising theirs for sale, but I assume a completed one would bring a bit less than one built by DF. As with any vehicle, quality of the parts and build vary and so would the prices. If I ever sold mine, I wouldn't expect to get much more than my total investment.
This makes me feel more comfortable about the whole process. I'm not afraid of the build, I'm sure it will be a lot of fun. I have always worked with my hands building and repairing things. Just finished up rebuilding the entire front suspension and steering on my '68 vette. The only thing that worried me is this is a project that my son brought to me and wanted to do it together and he will to be going to college in the next year or so and if his interests of this fade, what will I do? I know I would finish it if not already. But I feel better knowing that I shouldn't end up upside down if it were to come to that.

DanPerryy

I got insurance (here in Texas) with the car as NOT a daily driver. South & Western Insurance company (this is NOT my regular insurance company - Allstate which does not insure such vehicles) . My insurance is $350 per year.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I got insurance (here in Texas) with the car as NOT a daily driver. South & Western Insurance company (this is NOT my regular insurance company - Allstate which does not insure such vehicles) . My insurance is $350 per year.
My liability on the antique '68 vette is $50 every 6 months. That's not so bad since it tends to sit a lot. $350 isn't terrible.