Welded differential

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
It came up in conversation today when I was talking to a buddy about alternatives to spending $1000 on a Quaife or Wavetrac. He showed me a kit that was just two blocks that you weld inside of the differential and viola, locked differential. Im beyond skeptical and its not for me. Id rather spend the money and time for installation for the right product and right result.

...but has anyone seen an F23, F35 or F40 with this done?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
If you are only driving in a straight line (drag racing) and want full traction to both wheels, then a welded diff is ideal. If you are doing ANY street driving - like turning corners - a welded diff will strain heavily on the transmission internals, CV axles and make the tires slip/skid all the time in any turn.

Ross

Goblin Guru
If your car is just used at the drag strip, maybe it is for you.
Everytime you corner, you have to skid one tire, chirp the other, stress the CV joints and axles.
Trailering that goblin to the track just to drive it, would get old, in my opinion.
I like the fact that I can drive a track ready car just to get groceries.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
If you are only driving in a straight line (drag racing) and want full traction to both wheels, then a welded diff is ideal. If you are doing ANY street driving - like turning corners - a welded diff will strain heavily on the transmission internals, CV axles and make the tires slip/skid all the time in any turn.
My father had a locker mechanism in the rear of his old ranger. Same situation, great in a straight line but around a turn you had to clutch-in to allow the locker to have relief in a turn.
I hated driving that thing after he installed it....

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Cheap Chinese parts will likely leave you broken on the side of the track...IMO. Do it right the first time and save yourself some future grief...and a bad day at the track with lots of wrenching for a second time.

Tinkles

I have a Wavetrac for my F40, but have yet to install it. From what I have seen the install is very simple. I plan on doing it myself.

Welding the diff can be done for next to nothing. Cut up some thick scrap steel and weld it in. I wouldn't expect it to last as long as a Quaife or Wavetrac and seeing as the diff is in the same case as the transmission that would be one heck of a party.

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
Bought my Quaife LSD, now to search for shims to set it up properly.
I think... as much as I dislike OTTP, they do have F40 bearings listed that Ill need... ugg
I wonder what GM would charge me for bearings?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!!

The OTTP listing states - "Will fit the OEM and Wavetrac differential". Doesn't state they fit the Quaife. And it is just the bearings, the listing does not mention it includes shims or anything else needed for a LSD installation.

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
OTTP...sigh

If the application is the same, is this like saying that it wont fit other products because they don't sell "other products"?

Last edited:

Cnixon160

I would highly recommend against the team green insert, with any real power the delivery is haphazard at best and unless you violently drop the clutch donuts and slides are still a no-go, the OBX has some good reviews and obviously the Quaife is the top of the line option, there is a rwd specific quaife listed for the Vauxhall VX220 that has a different bias ratio

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
Quaife arrived in the mail today. A lot smaller than I initially thought it would be, but I guess I guess I never really thought about it.

Scott #321

Lol, worked on a lot of Dana axles over the years and by comparison this one is very very tiny. Cant be any larger that what it is replacing though and I have not see any posts about them failing. Hope I am not the first...LOL