What to do with Donor shell if I have to keep the title for registering the Goblin?

ZacMaster

The Kansas tag office said I needed the salvage title (although it could be signed over to me...not necessarily in my name) to register the Goblin once complete.

However, all the scrapyards I've talked to require me to hand over the title (or junk certificate, but then Kansas won't let me use the parts in the Goblin) in order to come get the shell.

What do all of you do with the shells if you can't hand over the title?

JSATX

Goblin Guru
In Texas they told me I just needed a copy of the tile to prove it wasn’t stolen. I’d find it strange if they needed the actual salvage title because usually those requirements are all anti theft based. For what it’s worth it only cost me $5 to transfer the salvage title to my name so you might as well transfer it to yourself either way.

ZacMaster

In Texas they told me I just needed a copy of the tile to prove it wasn’t stolen. I’d find it strange if they needed the actual salvage title because usually those requirements are all anti theft based. For what it’s worth it only cost me $5 to transfer the salvage title to my name so you might as well transfer it to yourself either way.
Too late for that. Donor is now stripped and can't get it to Kansas Highway Patrol to have it inspected.

I guess I need to find a sketchier scrapyard.

Gsd autos mn

You should be able to just copy the title front and back for your state as long as your name from insurance company to you. When I junk a car I write junk on front page big letters its not going to get transferred ever again.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Too late for that. Donor is now stripped and can't get it to Kansas Highway Patrol to have it inspected.

I guess I need to find a sketchier scrapyard.
Why would you need it inspected for a salvage title? It’s just a matter of sending the old one in and getting issued a new one

Gsd autos mn

I have a local scrapper with scrap license honestly I would get on CL and find a guy your self let them know what your plan is im sure someone would rather pick up your car over pop cans.

Gsd autos mn

So the state told you because the car was salvaged you have to have parts inspected on the cobalt and not the licensed kit car?

If I buy a salvage title its super easy to get it through salvage inspection its nothing but receipts and paper work after a 6 week wait due to our volume of cars.

ZacMaster

Why would you need it inspected for a salvage title? It’s just a matter of sending the old one in and getting issued a new one
Yes, regardless of title type, if I want a new title in my name, the vehicle needs a KHP inspection and the original title (signed over to me), which she will destroy and create me a new title.

To document the source of donor parts for the kit car registration, she only needs the original title signed over to me, and then the paper work (MCO, affidavit) and a KHP inspection of the new Goblin.

The tag part makes perfect sense. I just don’t want to hand my original title to a scrapyard.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
When I scrapped mine, I didn't realize that OK requires a title too. For me, it was just a simple phone call explaining my situation, and they understood. They said they would accept an original bill of sale as proof which they did no problem.

The only thing a title is used for is proof of legal ownership. Nothing more. I'm willing to bet that the KS tag office will work with you on what's needed. Give it a shot.

ZacMaster

So the state told you because the car was salvaged you have to have parts inspected on the cobalt and not the licensed kit car?

If I buy a salvage title its super easy to get it through salvage inspection its nothing but receipts and paper work after a 6 week wait due to our volume of cars.
I didn’t explain it well enough. They have to see the car I want titled (either the cobalt, which I didn’t need) or the goblin (which needs the cobalt’s title as demonstration I owned the donor parts.)

ZacMaster

When I scrapped mine, I didn't realize that OK requires a title too. For me, it was just a simple phone call explaining my situation, and they understood. They said they would accept an original bill of sale as proof which they did no problem.

The only thing a title is used for is proof of legal ownership. Nothing more. I'm willing to bet that the KS tag office will work with you on what's needed. Give it a shot.
I wrote the tag office a few minutes ago to ask if they would accept photocopies of the transactions. We’ll see.

If no scrapyards will take it, what are the other creative ways people are getting rid of the shell? Donate to a shooting range?

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Put it on Craigslist. You might have to give it away if you want someone to load it up and haul it away. You'll get maybe $90 as scrap if you took it in yourself.

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
See my post about cutting the donor shell in half... have you asked the scrap yard if they'll take it that way without the title?

wombat

Not sure how much I can help with the scrap question, but I did the KHP inspection and have a titled/registered car in KS.

ZacMaster, check your PM and give me a call if you want to.