When to stop tuning?

Chubbs

When did you all say "good enough" on your VE tables while tuning? I'm using HP tuners, of course.

I've been tuning the VE table for quite a while (40+ runs). I think I have it mostly dialed in, and it runs pretty well. However, some of the cells still "spike" every once in a while. I generally try to smooth those out. If I don't smooth them, and just do run after run, I end up with all sorts of spikes everywhere, and the map is just a mess.

In general, most of my cells are +/- 5%. Some are +/- 10%. Every once in a while, I'll get an anomaly that goes +/- 20%, then I drive it again, and it moves, or disappears entirely. I'm worried I'm chasing sensor noise at this point, that may or may not be real issues.

Do you think the long term trims will handle it from here? Or does it need to be much better before letting the ECU do its thing?

Chubbs

I was only requiring 5 hits before a sell would show data, as that's what the goat rope garage guy said. But that was probably for the initial tune. Increasing to 50 would probably give much more accurate results, and maybe get rid of the crazy spikes I see sometimes.

I also don't do very long drives, and maybe that's an issue too. Most of mine are probably 10 minutes or less.

I'll bump up the cell hits to 50, and take it for a nice half hour drive or so. Then call it good and move on. It's got to be pretty close already I think.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
It will be hard to get 50 hits in some load areas. This is the first time I've seen a recommendation for that high a number. I guess you can bump the polling rate up. Maybe this is just different from the LNF but keeping mine in the very high load area long enough to get more than 10-15 readings can be hard even with a long drive.