Winter Maintenance suggestions??

SwerveMonkey

Heya Goblineers! as others have mentioned in other threads, the winter/maintenance season is upon is in most of the states.

I'm a typical forum lurker, mostly just to see what new and clever solutions people come up with... But I need some guidance from the group as to what should be on the wish list of maintenance items for someone in my predicament.

#197 has had its season on the roads and ran fine with little to no problems...
occasionally she had a rough start after sitting for a week or two and not being turned over, figured that might be normal for something like this car.
but otherwise it is running great. the ODO has around 160K of so and I think that I want to tackle a timing chain replacement... even if it isn't warranted.
I know I definitely need to do an oil change, plugs & coils, and to top off coolant.

To get to the "ask"...
What helpful tasks should be done while doing a timing chain?
Do I really need to change the Cam Gears at the same time?
I'd like to swap the clutch at the same time, is a light weight flywheel bad for such a light car?
What's been a good clutch that balances between performance and durability?

I'm still doing a lot of research on my end but wanted to put out the plea for help in the meantime, ha ha.

SwerveMonkey

Forgot to include the couple threads that i had already looked over...

Devo's thread and Astraeus' thread

In the second link i saw it was LNF related... #197 is an L61, not sure of the difference(s) there
I'm still unclear on which models had what problems.

EDIT: correcting second link... and found one more thread about the chain tension bolt

Last edited:

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Both your links in the second post looks like they go to the same place.

I'm not a VVT expert, my timing set came with new cam gears but you'll also have phasers on your cams which I think should be replaced with the timing set. Not sure what all that entails but I'm sure others will chime in. Just make sure you have the good timing chain guide bolt and that you've got an updated tensioner.

My regular maintenance will be an oil change and checking for hidden fluid leaks.

I am a BIG fan of my lightweight flywheel, I think it suits a lightweight car perfectly. The engine revs up much faster. Theoretically they're easier to stall but not having 3,000lb to start from a stop counteracts most of that. I can't make a recommendation for stock-ish power level clutches, though.