Lethalcast's City goblin- 2009 SS/TC G85

Lethalcast

Yeah it is just a lot hotter on that side it seems and the alt is throwing air right into the filter. I ordered some heat reflective material to wrap the intake pipe and I was looking for a set of hood louvers that will fit in the flat spot next to the seats. That area get almost direct air flow and would give some positive flow to flush the engine bay.

Lethalcast

Another thing I noticed was that the coolant line runs directly on the intake pipe so the heat transfer could also mess with the iat1 temp since the sensor is in the maf.

Last edited:

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Why not put the intake pipe straight up from the inlet of the turbo into the cooler air above the engine? When you are driving the heat from the engine flows out behind the car. That is what I plan to do.
Because there needs to be a certain distance and a straight enough run of pipe from the turbo inlet in order for the MAF to be able to pick up a good signal. Unfortunately I don't know what those measurements need to be.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I kind of gave up on the idea of relocating my filter because I don't think it's any worse than being crammed in the engine bay and under the hood of a regular Cobalt. I'm sure it gets much hotter there.

Lethalcast

Okay so I got it all relocated and it is a massive difference! Temps range from ambient to +4 over ambient on iat! I can put my hand back and make a wind scoop at speed and get it to 1-2 above ambient at 70mph lol.

Lethalcast

Okay so now for the biggest game changer! I started working on the rest of the hood scoop I had left from the divider and mounted it up under the heat exchanger and have the lip of it even with the tires so I dont rip it off on big speed bumps. I mounted it up thinking it could help some but I wasnt ready for just how much! I just got back from my first run and it's hard to believe how much timing is pulled out from the heat. So running at 80mph I was at 110 iat2 93 iat1 and 91 ambient! Before at 80 i was in the 130s on cooler days. So the crazy part is how fast its cooling down! The temp rise is so much more linear through hard pulls and the highest i saw was 158 and instantly drops back down 110. It could be improved on so much but just as a start it's ridiculous what that little scoop is doing. Something like this needs to be added to the store, its ridiculous how much faster it is worth no heatsoak lol

Attachments

Last edited:

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
My temps would be reversed. At 91 degrees ambient I'd be well over 100 degrees for IAT and about 93 degrees for IAT2.

That's good to hear your filter move lowered your temps. Curious to know what additional parts you used and how you routed the intake on on turbo inlet connection. Can you post pics of that side?

Lethalcast

Yeah my iat was consistently 10-15 higher than ambient. Relocating it did mess with the tune on idle and It doesnt like it till it warms up some. I ran through and logged some driving and that's the only difference I see but someone with more knowledge on this would probably see it. I recalibrated it with the same tune and it's still there. It is so much more enjoyable to drive. You would think with it behind you it was going to be louder! Nope its quieter and by alot lol. I also made a firewall like George which created backflow off the engine. I went down to ace today and had them cut a piece of plexi at 20.5x4" and threw some scotch extreme velcro piece of it and put it in, no more back flow! Here is all the pieces I used for the air filter relocation.
Heat reflection tape. This roll barely does the one pipe so get a bigger one if you plan on doing more. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000E283S0?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

Joins maf pipe to elbow. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0797H2GDF?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

45 elbow. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071KJZWQC?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

3" x 3' intake pipe. I used a 3 1/2 piece of this between the elbow and coupler. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ARCNXHS?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Hey Lethalcast, would you mind showing me a picture of your clutch pedal, and how it mounts to the Goblin kit? I want to make sure I don't miss removing something from my donor's dash. Thanks in advance.

Lethalcast

Added a second heat exchanger! Helpped a lot and lowered temps tremendously but I think I'm flowing more than the intercooler can handle. Adam is helping me get a bigger one on there!